Hensley commands team with experience, ability

Many young students play sports in elementary and junior high as a hobby, maybe picking up a ball for the first time and trying it out for a few months. However, by the time they reach high school, not very many people keep up with a sport due to the increasing expectations that come with taking it to a higher level.

Despite this, there is a senior captain on the FC girls’ basketball team that has decided to stick with the sport since she enjoys the fast pace of the game. This girl would be Nicole Hensley, ’12, who first became introduced to basketball at the age of four and has been heavily influenced by it ever since.

Familial influences play into interest’s early roots

When Hensley’s older sister, alumna Larissa, ’09, started playing sports, Hensley also wanted to be involved in activities along with her. She was first introduced to basketball through an organization called “Little Hoopsters” at Peoples Church.

“Although I was introduced to basketball when I was four, I did not start playing at a more challenging level until fifth grade,” Hensley said. “Ever since then, I enjoyed the pace of the game and the strategy you have to use in basketball. It overall just appeals to me more than any other sport.”

Hensley says that Larissa inspires her in numerous ways by giving her valuable advice both on and off the court. She also learned ways to control her emotions from Larissa.

“Larissa tells me what I need to do to improve my game and, since she’s been through what I am going through emotionally, she helps me sort through the emotions that I feel while playing basketball,” Hensley said.

According to Hensley, she has appreciated encouragement from her family members and friends over the years. It is because of them that she is at the level she is currently at, says Hensley.

“Knowing that I have people who support me helped so much,” Hensley said. “Because basketball is a very hard sport at times mentally and physically, to have people backing you up through those times is a great motivation. Also, being an athlete, you train your body and mind to endure the times that you don’t think you can. People around me really helped me push past those moments through encouragement and the leadership I needed at those moments.”

After graduating next semester, Hensley plans on majoring in business and, even though she adores basketball, she will not be playing in college.

“I will not play at the college level,” Hensley said. “It takes a huge commitment to play and I don’t think I have enough passion to make it a huge part of my life. I will be pretty busy in college so I am planning on focusing on my studies.”

Captian’s leadership, drive affects team spirit

Head coach Santino Reynolds praises Hensley for her hard work, comparing her to one of the coaches.

“Nicole is a very hard worker and a complete basketball player,” Reynolds said. “She is like having another coach at practice. She has great attitude and is a great person off the court as well.”

Assistant coach Michele Graham, ’11, who has previously played with Hensley, agrees with Reynolds, stating that Hensley is an extraordinary basketball player.

“I loved playing with Nicole for all these years,” Graham said. “She was so much fun to be around … Nicole knows so much about basketball, she has been playing for years and each year she gets better. I am excited to see how this year is.”

According to Sarah Lim, ’14, Hensley is a fantastic captain that always puts her teammates before herself. Whenever Lim or any other players need help or advice, Hensley is there for them.

“I think Nicole is the kindest person ever,” Lim said. “And, as a captain, she works hard to teach us in getting better and in general really cares for her teammates. She is so talented in basketball and I really look up to her so it would be amazing if I could play like her by my senior year.”

Long time friend and Captain Brandi Thompson says that Hensley is an amazing basketball player who works hard to be as good as she is. Playing basketball with Hensley has affected their friendship, she says.

“Nicole lives to play basketball,” Thompson said. “The reason why we work well together is because we are willing to help each other and communicate. Basketball affects our friendship in a strong way because it is something both of us love to do and we both have stuff in common to talk about.”

Hensley overcomes injuries, obstacles in career

Despite having natural athletic abilities, playing basketball was not easy for Hensley. She has received several injuries over the years and had to stop playing for a short amount of time because of them.

“I have sprained my ankle several times,” Hensley said. “But my most recent serious one was my freshman year during practice. I was making a lay-up and came down on it wrong. So I was on crutches for a couple of weeks. After the experience, I became a stronger person and realized that I will not let anything stop me from playing because it is a given that I will get injured. Basketball is something that I love, so I learned how to adjust to injuries.”

Whether it is due to impairments or personal problems outside of the sport, every athlete faces obstacles. Hensley is not the exception, but instead of giving up, she relied on God and asked for strength.

“God is my rock and my strength on and off the court,” Hensley said. “Without him I would not be able to persevere through the hardships I find myself in everyday.”

Last season, the FC girls’ basketball team consisted of players with years of experience. However, this upcoming season, there are many students who are new to the sport. Despite this, Hensley believes that the team can become successful if they are willing to work hard and dedicate themselves to the sport.

“It is definitely a change from last year to this year,” Hensley said. “We have a new team, new coaches and challenges that we must overcome to be successful. We can close the level gap between the experienced and inexperienced players by always giving one hundred percent and making the best effort to get better. Encouraging and teaching each other will definitely help as well.”

The Eagles will play their first game of the season on the road in the Liberty Hawk Invitational at 6 p.m., Dec. 7.

For more information on girls’ basketball, check out the Girls’ basketball sport shorts 2010-11 Part I and II. For more information on FCS sports, visit the Fresno Christian Athletics web page.