Occupy protest stretches to Fresno

A major event took place in the financial district of New York City, Sept. 17: Occupy Wall Street. This movement began with a group of people who are protesting the questionable financial practices that occur on Wall Street.

The peoples’ unrest stemmed from the absurdity of CEO’s salary and the unfair practices of large companies such as AIG and Rabbobank. Yet since then, the protests have been about nearly every political issue ranging from the initial financial protests to unrest with the war in Afghanistan. Occupy Wall Street has spread to over 100 cities including our own local Occupy Fresno.

One of Occupy Fresno’s greatest concerns is the increasing gap between the middle class and wealthy. At the moment, the top 1 percent makes 40 percent of America’s wealth. Also, CEOs at some of America’s largest companies make on average 343 times more money than their own employees.

The movement that began in Wall Street has expanded across the country and reached Fresno, on Oct. 6. The protestors have settled near the courthouse and there have been numerous arrests since the movement began.

The protestors were actually allowed to stay by the courthouse for a few weeks but were later informed that they needed a permit. Protestors then received permits and were allowed to continue their peaceful protesting. Yet the permit expired shortly after and the Sheriff’s office enforced the 12 a.m.-6 a.m. ordinance which greatly restricts the protesters from staying near the courthouse for long periods of time.

In response to the Sheriff’s orders, the protestors refused to obtain a new permit since they would not abide by the rules of the permit anyway. Since the protestors have gone against the county, over 95 arrests have been made and Fresno County has spent over $150,000 obtaining these peaceful protestors.

Occupy Fresno activists have called for several changes on a national scale. Yet more locally, the protestors are demanding that Fresno Unified Superintendent Michael Hanson take a pay cut. Hansen currently makes around $277,000.

More recently, the protestors stood outside downtown banks such as Bank of America and Citibank, Dec. 2. While outside the banks, Occupy Fresno voiced its frustration with large banks and federal bailouts chanting “Banks got bailed out, we got sold out”.

Occupy Fresno extended its hand to the California State University, Fresno campus and to the Fresno City College campus in hopes of spurring a movement amongst local college students, Dec. 6. The occupy organizers met with both Fresno City and Fresno State students and faculty to inform them of the history of the Occupy movement.

Occupy protesters chose the college atmosphere since students are perhaps the hardest-hit demographic since the recession. Rising tuition rates and a very difficult job market has made it very hard for college students in recent years. Yet, the support at these campuses was minimal since it is nearing finals weeks and both students and faculty are ridden with preparing for finals.

Occupy Fresno activists continue to protest Wall Street practices and remain in the courthouse vicinity. The theme of Occupy Wall Street involves the “99 percent” as they say, referring to the 99 percent of Americans that are being largely controlled by the 1 percent who own 40 percent of America’s wealth. This movement has spread across America and protestors continue to speak up for the lower 99 percent of America.

For more news, read the Dec. 7 article, Motor Trend features new car designs (24 PHOTOS).