Giving back to parents: Join the discussion, 2011

In the month of December, families set up Christmas trees, lights and decorations to prepare for the holiday season. Students thoughtfully write out their wish lists and tape them on the fridge for parents to see.

According to iloveindia.com, some of the most popular gifts for Christmas this year include mostly electronics, such as the Xbox 360 and Kinect, and various Apple products. Other gifts accomodate demanded clothes or a ticket to an event such as a concert or a sporting event.

Many teenagers anticipate Christmas for the arrival of these gifts on Christmas morning, but of course, students must treat their parents in return.

Personally, this year I am going to present my parents with what they requested. For my dad, I purchased a pair of warm sandals for wearing in the house since he always complains of the tiles being too cold. For my mom, I bought her a necklace because she has always wanted more jewelry.

Like me, many other students plan to give something to their parents. Whether it may be a purchased gift or just a promise to offer something to their parents, most students have prepared some sort of present.

The Feather staff invites readers to submit their own ideas of gifts for parents through commenting on the discussion.

Snowboard for father
Robert Christopher, ’14
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m giving my dad a snowboard. I?m getting him one because it?s his hobby to snowboard and, that way, he can have one during spring and winter time.

Creative music album
Eric Cowin, ’14
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m writing an music album for my parents. My dad was always saying I should make an album so that?s why I?m doing it. I like to compose music, also.

Promise for grades
Dominic Mendoza, ’13
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m getting my parents grades for Christmas; I?m promising to raise my grades for next semester.

Innovative painting
Elora Hargis, ’14
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m painting a picture for my parents. It?s personal and significant and it?s something I can do for free. Also, it?s creative and something that is from my heart.

Still thinking
Jenna Orcutt, ’13
Dec. 15, 2011

I don?t know what I?m going to get them yet, but I want to because they do so much for me, and I want to give something back. I haven?t thought of anything yet, but I?ll come up with something.

An evening out for just the parents
Jordan Castro, ’15
Dec. 15, 2011

I was thinking of getting both my parents a little treat, probably something like a spa day or a restaurant reservation for them alone. My parents often don?t get time to spend with each other because of they are always watching my little brother and I thought it would be nice to give them a break.

Movie and soccer ball for acknowledgement
Nick Fontes, ’15
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m probably going to give my mom a movie that she likes and my dad a really good soccer ball. I just think it?s really important to give them this stuff because they?re ones who raised me and gave me the ability to go to a good school and are paying for my education.

Replacement of center piece
Shannon Martens, ’15
Dec. 15, 2011

I?m getting my mom a centerpiece for the coffee table in the living room because the one we have is really dusty and old. Seeing the old one wanted me to replace it.

Favorite giftcard
Briana Graff, ’13
Dec. 15, 2011

Well I always get my mom a giftcard to either Olive Garden or Toledo’s because that?s her favorite Mexican restaurant. They just give so much to me and I just feel like I need to give them something.

Memories in an album
Susan Lee, Central Office Accounts Receivable
Dec. 15, 2011

My most favorite thing I?ve given to my parents was an photo album of their 90th birthday celebration. I know it was very meaningful to them and their was a lot of work put into it and they held photos of memories they could keep until they passed away. They were very excited.

One hundred roses
Lynn Kim, ’13
Dec. 15, 2011

I made one hundred roses out of paper for my parents on Christmas. I love them so much and one of my friends did it so I decided to do it too.

Crafted pen and cooking utensils
Chloe Duerr, ’14
Dec. 15, 2011

Well I made a pen in wood shop for my dad and I?m probably going to get my mom cooking pots because she likes to cook. My dad is a business man so I thought it would be good if I made a pen for him and my mom loves to cook for us so I thought new things or even a cookbook for unique food. It shows how much I appreciate my parents because Christmas they should just give us gifts.

Sweltering flannel sheets for mother
Art Teacher Sharon Scharf
Dec. 15, 2011

I got my mom a set of flannel from L.L. Bean because those have to be the neatest, softest, warmest and cuddliest flannel sheets ever. And my mom doesn?t need anything, she?s really hard to buy for. I got her a set last year, when she had a single bed, but now she changed to a queen size, and so she needed a different size.

Behavior present
Natalie Griffin, ’13
Dec. 15, 2011

My siblings and I aren?t going to specifically get anything for our parents. The three of us don?t usually get along, so I think the perfect present would be to stop fighting. Our parents then won’t be so upset over vacation.

Amazing food slicer and cool sweater
Scott Jennings, ’12
Dec. 15, 2011

I getting my mom this kitchen thing for slicing food and I’m giving my dad some super cool sweaters. I’m giving them stuff because it’s something my parents need.

Advice-led letter
Celeste Camacho, ’12
Dec. 15, 2011

This year I’m probably going to follow [English teacher Molly] Sargent’s advice and write a nice, heartfelt letter to tell them how much I appreciate them and everything they’ve done for me. Also, I’m probably going to throw in a giftcard.

Cowgirl items
Emily Daniel, ’12
Dec. 15, 2011

For my mom I’m probably going to get her cowgirl type of boots, or a hat because she’s really into that stuff. My dad said he didn’t really want anything, so I’m probably not going to get him anything.

Bear hug for present holder
Jeffrey Barth, ’12
Dec. 15, 2011

For my parents this year, I’m just going to give them a big hug. I’m actually not sure yet, but I’m going to give them something because I love them.

Artistic painting and pan
Ashley Erickson, ’14
Dec. 15, 2011

For Christmas I’m just going to draw my mom something. I got my dad a pan that he wanted for Christmas. My dad always says that’s so cool for the pan commercials, and it kind of hints at it. And my mom likes homemade things a lot better that things you can just pick up at the store.

Symbolic baseball glove
Larry Hyde, Campus Maintenance
Dec. 15, 2011

I gave my dad a brand new baseball glove. Back in those days, a new glove was pretty expensive for an average family, so I knew it would take a lot for me to pay for it and give it to him, so he can play ball.

For more discussions, read the Dec. 16 article, Celebrate the season: Join the discussion, 2011.