EDITORIAL: Spread Christmas through inclusion

Christmas: A time of decorations, cheer and even the occasional yule tiding. During the month of December, it’s all we hear about. Everything from the radio to your next-door neighbor’s house proclaims the prominence of this day. It seems as if anything else is swallowed up in order for the tree, the presents and Santa Claus to take center stage.

Ironically, it is during all this pomp and prestige that people lose sight of the holiday season’s significance. With eyes on our Christmas lists, we often forget that there are others around us, which, though it sounds selfish, is extremely easy to do.

However, we at The Feather hope to accomplish something different this year by challenging individuals to observe Christmas in such a way as to be inclusive.

We’ve noticed that, all too often, people draw lines between themselves, sticking to their comfort zones and their preconceived notions of others. While this is not a hallmark reserved just for Christmas, it seems like the natural thing to do during a time known for fellowship and good will toward all would be to include as many people as possible in the celebration.

After all, isn’t that basically the theme of every classic Christmas movie Who could forget the iconic scene where Ebenezer Scrooge learned that kindness, compassion and friendship are a necessity to life? Or where George Bailey’s friends and family rallied around to support him? Or even where Rudolph was accepted by the other reindeer despite being slightly different than everyone else?

Just from these examples — trust us, there are a lot more — it would appear that Christmas radiates a sensation of good tidings and cheer. However, all this spirit and warmth is useless if we choose not to act upon it. It seems like the most rewarding way to doing this is by giving the gift of companionship and kindness, branching out to others so that they may experience the joy that is a staple during Christmastime.

Charity comes in many different forms, but the basic idea of each is rallying around your fellow human in an act of care and thoughtfulness. This kind of conduct aids both the beneficiary and the benefactor, as it is through this that we grow and are rewarded with the knowledge that we did something selfless.

That being said, it would be fairly unchallenging to, for one day of the year, try to include someone in whatever way possible. In all actuality, it doesn’t even matter if the person is an acquaintance or not, as long as one acts in accordance with the notions of philanthropy and altruism.

In fact, one of the easiest and most popular ways of this achieving this during the holidays is through service. Activities ranging from food banks to coat drives are almost ubiquitous during this time of year, and they present the perfect opportunity to spread cheer to those in need. This type of inclusion works towards the welfare of those who are commonly overlooked, something that is crucial to the Christmas season.

Additionally, it is all the more simple to reach out to a friend, family member or known associate. Though it may seem inane, anything from an extravagant gift to a card may make a person’s Christmas, which should be reason enough for someone to express their feelings toward another.

However, there are literally billions of people worldwide who choose not to observe Christmas. While, often times, people get caught up in the pettiness of arguing about the logistics of celebrating this particular holiday, there will always be those who disagree when it comes to beliefs.

This is why, The Feather staff believes that, instead of shunning them, Christians should include those of different faiths and backgrounds by sharing the history and significance of Christmas. If December 25 truly commemorates a day for all men, it should be made known.

Through these things, we at The Feather aspire to embrace everyone this Christmas, whether we know them, agree with them or neither of the previous. People need to take the few weeks we have in the winter and include people in creative ways, whether it be through compassion, a meaningful gift or even a church invite.

Hopefully, if this works, we will be able to continue on throughout the new year with the same sense of cheerfulness and camaraderie towards all so often found during Christmas. The only thing left to do is act on these words and include everyone with our festivities and jubilation.