Volleyball season productive despite playoff loss

With the championship game on the line, students filled the gym on Nov. 12. While FC lost to rival Coast Union, 0-3, the crowd screamed, jumped, and cheered after every point. Despite the loss, coaches, players and fans appeared pleased with the year’s success.

For the third year in a row, the Eagles were West Sierra League Champions with an overall record of 13-3 but were defeated in playoffs.

“The season was truly unforgettable; I feel so privileged to have an experience like this,” defensive specialist, Lindsey Martens, ’05, said. “We love each other so much and it shows on and off the court.”

In spite of the disappointment of not making the finals, Martens said her teammates have kept a positive perspective of the season.

“The season was so awesome!” defensive specialist, Sara Wiens, ’04, said. “This was the best team I have ever played with. Our chemistry was uniquely unforgettable. This season was supposed to be a rebuilding year and yet we came out with a league title.”

A highlight of the season, according to head coach Larry Orender, was the Oct. 24, 3-0 win over Tranquility. Earlier in the season, FC lost to the Tigers on the road, but when Tranquility returned for a rematch, the eagles soared to victory.

“This season we answered a lot of questions about the team and ourselves,” coach Orrender said. “We did so with hard work and determination to raise the bar.”

Though they lost five seniors from last year and were not expecting to succeed, at year’s end the girls exceeded expectations.

“We had a pretty young team this year,” setter, Carli Albrechtson, ’03, said. ” Because of new faces and new positions we had to work even harder for our success.”

During the Sports Boosters Awards night on Nov. 18, Albrechtson received the Aaron Award for being the spiritual leader of the team, outside hitter Tiffney Kaiser, ’03 received the Simon Award for determination, and outside hitter Michelle Nachtigall, ’04, received the eagle award for the most valuable player.

“I felt privileged to get the eagle award,” Nachtigall, said. ” It proved to me all the hard work as a team paid off.”

Nachtigall was not the only teammate one who worked hard they all functioned as a team and pushed them selves to perform their best.

“This season was unforgettable,” Kaiser, said. ” We dug deep, came together, and pulled out a great season.”

For more information about next year’s volleyball team contact the office at 297-9464, ext. 126.