Boys' basketball sport shorts: Eagles outplay Stone Ridge

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 11-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 6. The Eagles will continue the 2011-12 season with an away game against the Firebaugh Eagles, at 7 p.m. Jan.10.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12

FC DEFEATS STONE RIDGE–Jan. 6.
After coming off of a big win against the Sierra Chieftains, the Eagles were ready to face the Stone Ridge Christian Knights, Jan. 6. The game pace was rather slow compared to the up-tempo game on Tuesday. Despite the sluggish pace, FC outplayed the Knights, defeating them, 73-53.

The first few minutes of the game were prolonged with fouling from both teams. FC looked to jump start the momentum by executing a full-court press. The controlled Knights threw long passes over the Eagles to score uncontested buckets under the hoop. FC attempted a few three-pointers, but had difficulty finding their shot. Senior Ryan Neufeld scored 6 points in the first by controlling the key. Going into the second the Eagles led, 23-12.

Neufeld had a solid double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds. After a great team performance on Tuesday, Neufeld shares what he was thinking going into the Stone Ridge game.

?We knew that it wouldn?t be a really easy game,? Neufeld said. ?We had to go in there and work hard for it. We just had to follow the game plan and do what we needed to do.?

The Eagles caught a streak in the second quarter under the senior leadership of Cooper Belmont. Belmont made every shot he took for a quarter high of 13 points. He finished as the game high scorer with 24. FC dropped back into a half-court defense and limited the Knights to just 9 points. At the end of the second the Eagles had advanced their lead, 36-21.

Though Neufeld admits the game was pretty rocky, he remains optimistic. He credits his team?s hard work in getting the win.

?Our execution wasn?t the greatest but we made up for it in our effort and hard work,? Neufeld said. ?It might not be the best win but we’ll take it and move on and use it as momentum.?

Going into the third quarter, the Eagles were hoping to execute better from both ends of the court. Senior Brady Lee, who finished with 15 points, scored 6 in the third off of drives to the basket. Stone Ridge point guard Ryan Flanagan, ’12, countered FC?s attacks with his dangerous jump shot. Flanagan ended up leading his team offensively with 16 points. Going into the fourth FC was up, 52-36.

Due to their substantial lead, coach Josh Justin played everyone on his team. Senior Ramandeep Singh scored 6 points to help pace the Eagles. Freshman Lance Henderson contributed in the post with 2 points and five rebounds.

FC played a 2-3 zone, forcing the Knights to shoot 3?s. Stone Ridge made a few lay-ups in transition but they could never quite bridge the point margin. As the buzzer rang, the Eagles came out triumphant, 73-53.

Coach Justin feels like his entire team contributed to the victory. Although the Eagles won by 20, Justin shares what they need to get better at.

?Every member of team contributed to our success,? Justin said. ?We played very well on offense tonight. I did feel that our defense was not great at times. We need to improve our transition defense as well as stopping the middle penetration from the point guard.?

The Eagles will next travel to face the Firebaugh Eagles, at 7 p.m. Jan.10.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out Boys? basketball sport shorts: Eagles defeat Sierra in first home game or Defense with passion.