Girls' basketball sport shorts: Eagles overcome earlier loss, beat Bakersfield

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
Latest girls’ basketball shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ basketball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com.The Eagles are currently 2-7 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 6. The Eagles will next travel to Sierra High School on Jan. 11, 2012, at 6:30 p.m.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12

FC DEFEATS BAKERSFIELD CHRISTIAN IN EARLY SEASON REMATCH–Jan. 5
After nearly three weeks off, the Eagles were eager to travel to Bakersfield Christian to take on the rival Eagles in the South Valley, Jan. 5. And after jumping out to a 15-4 first quarter lead, FC knew their loss to Bakersfield in the December Farmersville tournament would be avenged.

In the first quarter, senior captain Brandi Thompson launched the scoring parade going early as she scored within 10 seconds of the game. Her layup was contested and Thompson was pushed, sending her to the free throw line for the first two points of the game.

The duo of senior captain Nicole Hensley and Thompson kept the pressure on as they combined for 15 points in the first quarter. The Eagle defense held and kept the hosts from getting many open shots. FC would hold on to defeat host Bakersfield, 49-43, Jan. 5.

After having a successful quarter, FC Eagles continued to rebound and score effortless lay ups. But Bakersfield Christian Eagles did not give up their chances to get rebounds and played aggressive. In the second quarter captain Thompson grabbed a rebound and apparently was punched in the mouth by one of the Bakersfield players. Despite her injury, Thompson only missed a couple of minutes and was back on the court.

With Thompson out though, the host Eagles slowed FC but the visitors still led, 27-14, at the half.

In the third and fourth quarters, Bakersfield Christian Eagles caught up to FC Eagles but they refused to be defeated and scored until the last minute.

Sophomore Sarah Lim, who had 3 rebounds, says that although she had to sacrifice her time over the break, she is satisfied that the hard work paid off. She is also looking forward to entering league next week, she says.

“It felt amazing winning this game,” Lim said. “I felt like all the conditioning and hard work finally paid off. But we still need to work on boxing out and rebounding because we gave them easy points. Overall, I am really proud of my teammates and I cannot wait to go into league. Because I am confident that we are going to do great.”

According to captain Hensley, she is glad the team got back on the floor after losing so many games earlier in the season and competed with a team that had previously beaten them. Besides having skills, containing nonchalant attitude is crucial.

“We played hard and we were prepared so that helped us be able to come out with a win,” Hensley said. “We also came out of the gate wanting to play aggressive offense and defense which worked in our favor. We definitely had more confidence and we were able to have calm attitudes, which helped us win.”

Hensley finished the game with 25 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds, and 5 steals, to lead FC to victory.

Sophomore Hannah Avila, who had 2 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks, praises Thompson for getting back on the court even though she was injured. She also looks up to Hensley for her dedication to the sport.

“I thought that Brandi showed a lot of commitment from herself,” Avila said. “Even though she was bleeding from the injury she continued to fight through the pain and play. Her and Nicole are both dedicated captains. The highlight of the game was probably in the beginning just the intensity we all showed and the captains moving the ball up and down the court like none other.”

According to Thompson, she will never let the team down. She will back up no matter how severe her injuries are and push the team forward by demonstrating positive attitude.

“It felt great to go and beat a team that had already beaten us,” Thompson said. “When I got punched, it was a little painful but I knew that they needed me out there so I knew I had to get over it and play. As a captain, I just need to keep everyone motivated and just keep telling them they are doing great and keep up the good work.”

Thompson finished just behind Hensley with 22 points, 5 assists, and 8 rebounds.

Head coach Santino Reynolds says that he is proud of the team for trying their best until the very last minute. The team would not have defeated the Bakersfield Christian Eagles without intense training over the break.

“It was a great win for the team,” Reynolds said. “We never trailed and came out with excellent intensity. We need to continue to work on rebounding and limiting turnovers down the stretch. The highlight for me was the execution of our offense and inbound plays in the last two minutes. Everyone did a great job filling their team role. The conditioning over break was clearly a big factor and a big reason for the success tonight.”

For others photos of the game, check out Focus and determination and Lady Eagles 2011/2012.

The Eagles will next travel to Sierra on Jan. 11, 2012, at 6:30 p.m. For more information on Lady Eagle basketball, read Lady Aztec Invitational: Eagles earn 1st win.