Boys' basketball sport shorts: FC soars by Stone Ridge

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 13-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 13. The Eagles will continue the 2011-12 season with a home game against the Riverdale Cowboys at 7 p.m. Jan.17.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
EAGLES TAKE DOWN KNIGHTS, Jan. 13d
FC traveled to Merced to take on the Stone Ridge Christian Knights, Jan. 13. The Eagles had previously beaten the Knights by 20 a week earlier. FC played 4 quarters of sound basketball and ended up winning, 88-48.

FC has now advanced their record to 13-1. Ironically they achieved this feat on Friday the 13th.

The Eagles jumped on the Knights from the start of the game to get a quick lead. Senior Cooper Belmont, who finished with 23 points, scored 12 in the first to give FC momentum. Besides being the game high scorer, Belmont also had 6 rebounds and 5 steals. The Knights began to catch wind by breaking FC?s press and scoring uncontested lay-ups. The Eagles switched to a half-court man defense which helped stifle their opponent?s comeback. Chandler Vargas, ?12, found his shot and hit two 3?s in the first quarter. Going into the second the Eagles were up, 32-19.

As the new quarter went underway, FC played significantly better defense. Junior Brandon McCormick finished the game with 5 boards, 6 tips and a charge. Senior Brady Lee finished with 5 steals and 5 tips. As a result of their defense, the Eagles held the Knights to just 8 points in the second. FC dominated the offensive end, by scoring lay-ups and 3?s. Vargas, who finished with 15, scored 7 points in the second. The Knights struggled to find their flow on offense. Going into halftime the Eagles led, 55-27.

McCormick led his team defensively with his hustle and aggressive determination. While he did not score any points, he greatly aided the Eagles with his sound defensive play. McCormick says chasing after loose balls and diving on the floor gives him a rush on defense.

?It felt good to get a lot of minutes this game,? McCormick said. ?It wasn?t the easiest game but it wasn?t the toughest game. I came off the bench and didn?t put up points but just played hard defense. Winning loose balls felt good because I got to have that adrenaline rush.?

As halftime ended, the Eagles stepped out on the court with resolve. They had a passionate desire to continue playing solid offense and defense. FC ended up scoring 20 in the third through teamwork and hustle. Senior Tyler Krigbaum scored two back to back buckets to help fire up his team. Freshman Lance Henderson, who finished with 11, scored 4 in the third off of shots in the key. The Eagles successfully prevented the Knights from coming back by their good defense. As the third quarter ended the Eagles were up, 75-39.

Coach Josh Justin rested a few of his starters in the fourth quarter so that others would have the opportunity to shine. Senior Josh Grinage scored 4 of his 6 points off of drives to the basket in the fourth. Senior Ryan Neufeld, who finished with 19, ran the point guard position in the last couple minutes of the game. Neufeld worked the ball around to help get his team open shots. Every FC player was able to get on the floor and contribute in some way. FC played hard to the end, defeating Stone Ridge, 88-48.

The Eagles will be playing their league opener against Riverdale next Tuesday. The last time they faced the Cowboys, FC only won by a single point. McCormick shares his thoughts on playing Riverdale.

?I felt like we didn?t play our best against Riverdale last time, but that doesn?t matter,? McCormick said. ?We just need to come out for our next home game with a huge crowd and play our best. We need to play 100% and come out with the win.?

Coach Justin is proud of how his team executed from both ends of the court. He feels that the win will help give the Eagles momentum for their league opener.

?We scored 32 points in the first quarter because of some great shooting from Cooper Belmont and Chandler Vargas,? Justin said. ?Throughout the game we played solid defense and did a great job crashing the offensive boards. All of these rebounds helped us to get lots of second chance points. Overall it was a well played game for us, and it should help give us some positive momentum heading into our first league game.

The Eagles will next host the Riverdale Cowboys in their league opener at 7 p.m. Jan. 17.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out Boys? basketball sport shorts: Eagles defeat Firebaugh in overtime.