Boys' basketball sport shorts: Eagles defeat Redcats (VIDEO)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 17-1 overall and 3-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 27. According to Maxpreps.com, FC is ranked 2nd in the state for D-V basketball.

The Eagles will continue the 2011-12 season with a home game against the Parlier Panthers, Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
FC WINS TOUGH BATTLE AGAINST FOWLER, Jan. 27.
After coming off of a win against Caruthers, the Eagles squared off with the Fowler Redcats at home, Jan. 27. FC played solid from the start and limited their opponents to 11 points in the first half. The Redcats put up a fight in the second half and contested for the win. When all was said and done the Eagles pulled away with a 57-46 victory.

With the long week of school finally over, many students were eager to unwind and cheer on their home team. Parents, faculty, and alumni also came to root on the 16-1 Eagles. The packed home bleachers were buzzing with excitement as the game began.

The Eagles opened the first quarter with aggressive man-to-man defense. They made a few steals in the half-court set and forced Fowler to turn the ball over. Like Caruthers, the Redcats face-guarded senior Cooper Belmont from the start of the game. The Eagles pushed the ball up the court and executed in transition. Senior Brady Lee scored a quick 7 in the first to give his team an early lead. Going into the second, FC led, 13-4.

The home team stepped up their offensive game in the second quarter. Senior’s Tyler Krigbaum and Ramandeep Singh each scored a bucket to add to FC?s lead. Though Fowler was big in the post, senior Ryan Neuefeld more than held his own. Neufeld finished the game with a double-double of 12 points and 15 rebounds.

The Eagles executed their full-court press which led to turnovers from their opponents. FC capitalized on Fowler?s mistakes by scoring lay-ups. Chandler Vargas, ?12, found his shot and made 2 3-pointers in the second. Vargas, who with finished with 12 points, hit a big 3 to send his team into halftime. At the end of the second the Eagles were up, 36-11.

With a solid 25 point lead, the Eagles looked to put away Fowler in the third quarter. However, the Redcats would not go down without a fight. All of a sudden Fowler caught fire and began executing on both ends of the floor. They gained momentum of off solid defense and aggressive offense.

The Eagles, on the other hand, struggled to put the ball in the hoop. FC worked the ball around but failed to make their shots. The game began to get chippy as multiple fouls were called on the home team. Fowler out rebounded the Eagles in the third and bridged the point margin to 10 points. At the end of the quarter the Eagles led, 45-35.

FC regrouped as a team at the start of the fourth quarter. The five starters were seen pumping each other up as they walked out onto the court. The Eagles found ways to score the ball off of fast breaks. They also prevented Fowler from catching wind once again. Senior Cooper Belmont juked his defender and hit a 3 to garner a roar from the crowd.

Fowler began to press the Eagles in attempts to make a final comeback. When FC broke their press, the Redcats resorted to fouling in order to send the Eagles to the line. The Redcats got most of their fourth quarter point from put-backs and shots in the key. The Eagles stayed composed and battled to the end. As the final buzzer rang, FC came out on top, 57-46.

Neufeld and Vargas led their team offensively with 12 points a piece. Fowler’s Evan Gonzalez led his team in scoring with 10.

Though the Eagles struggled to execute in different aspects of the game, senior Brady Lee is optimistic about the future. Lee, who finished with 11 points and 3 steals, says the game will help give his team momentum.

?We didn’t play as well as we hoped to in the second half, but we will learn from it and move on.? Lee said. ?Our team is mature enough to use this game as motivation. We need to continue to work hard and rely on each other.?

Head coach Josh Justin feels like his team’s defensive intensity helped them secure the victory. He hopes the game will be used as motivation for the team to continue their good effort.

“We played a great first half and jumped out to a big lead,” Justin said. “In the second half we struggled at times, but we were still able to hold on for the victory. We played extremely hard on defense throughout the entire game. Hopefully, a game like this will be used as motivation for the team to continue to work hard for the remainder of the season.”

The Eagles received press from KMPH Fox 26, in an article titled: Sweet 16! Fresno Christian Basketball Wins Again. A highlight video courtesy Ralph Wood is featured below.

The Eagles will next host the Parlier Panthers, Jan. 31 at 7:30 p.m.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out Boys’ basketball sport shorts: Eagles beat Caruthers for first time in 6 years (VIDEO).