Girls' softball sport short shorts: Fresno High overcomes Eagles

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 0-1 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 23. The Eagles will next travel to play against Minarets High School, Feb. 24.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

EAGLES DEFEATED BY WARRIORS–Feb. 22
The Eagles traveled to play against the Fresno High Warriors for their first non-league game of the season, Feb. 22. Since winter sports is officially over, FC gained 3 more players, bringing their roster to a total of 12 athletes. Even though the Warriors are not in FC?s division, the Eagles treated the game as a preparation before league matches.

Both teams came out from the start ready to compete, but the Eagles struggled both at bat and the ability to get on base, ultimately losing the game, 23-0. Unlike most teams, FC only has one pitcher, which hurts the team tremendously.

According to sophomore Illeana See, who plays 2nd base, the team could have done better to prevent simple mistakes throughout the game.

“I think one of the reasons why we lost was because Jenna [Weimer] got tired through the game,” See said. “She did not have a substitute, so she just continually got tired, but towards the end of the game she really put her all into it and made a good comeback. Also, there were just small mistakes that could have easily been avoided. Due to 3 new players it was harder to follow through with some of the plays.”

Sophomore Jenna Weimer says that even though they lost by 23 runs, she is thankful for her teammates? work ethic and encouragement from the coaches. Weimer plans on demonstrating Christ-like attitude towards her opponents throughout the season.

“Even though we lost, I am glad we learned a lot today,” Weimer said. “We have an awesome coaching staff, motivated and dedicated players, supportive parents and a God who will help us. My hope, along with playing well and improving, is that people won’t need to see the word “Christian” on our jerseys to know that we are truly Christ’s followers.”

According to Eagle head coach Jeff Ragan, he believes that the team can be successful if they work on their weaknesses.

“Today was our first day with all 12 players,” Ragan said. “We have a mixture of new players and returning players. The coaches, as well as the players, saw a lot of things today. Some are areas of strength and some are areas of need. This team is a wonderful group of Christian young ladies, with a wonderful group of coaches. Given our faith in Christ, the sky is the limit for the 2012 Fresno Christian Softball team.”

Senior catcher Raine Hayes says that she is fond of fellow seniors Brandi Thompson and Nicole Hensley for executing the game in spite of joining later in the season.

“We lost by a lot today, but I know me, as the catcher, I did a lot better this game.” Hayes said. “I am really proud of Brandi and Nicole; it was their first game and they were really good. We are learning a lot from these games and I know have a better idea of how real game setting is like.”

The Eagles were scheduled to host the Minaret Mustangs, Feb. 24, but last minute the games was cancelled.

The Eagles will next travel to take on Sierra Pacific, Feb 29.

For more information on girls’ softball, check out Girls’ softball sport shorts: FC faces Hoover High in scrimmage and Eagle softball 2012 promo (VIDEO).

For more information on Eagle softball, contact Jeff Regan or call 559.259.6468.