Girls' basketball sport shorts: Chieftains score early, cruise to win

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
Latest girls’ basketball shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ basketball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com.The Eagles are currently 2-8 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 11. The Eagles will next play against Riverdale Cowgirls on Jan. 11, 2012, at 6:30 p.m.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
SIERRA SCORES EARLY, OFTEN, CRUISES TO VICTORY OVER EAGLES–Jan. 11
After winning the last two matches, FC Eagles were eager for another win. However, the Sierra Cheiftains, who also had two consecutive wins were not willing to accommodate. The game started out tough for the Eagles when Cheiftains scored two points within 10 seconds of the game. Sierra used quick strike and cruised to a 64-22 win, Jan. 11.

In the first two quarters, free throws greatly impacted the game. Since Eagles? offence was not strong enough, it was difficult for them to score. Despite missing opportunities to score, free throws earned them 4 points in the first quarter but Sierra control the game, 16-6.

During half time, Eagle head coach Santino Reynolds encouraged his players to box out harder and play with more aggressiveness, despite being down 35-12.

After encouragement from Reynolds, captain Nicole Hensley scored a 3-pointer for the first time in the game. Following Hensley, senior captain Brandi Thompson also scored a few 2 pointers and free throws. She finished off the game with 11 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists.

According to sophomore Hannah Avila, who had 1 point, and 3 rebounds, trusting each other and having a positive attitude is crucial in basketball.

?I think we need to not psych ourselves out so much,? Avila said. ?Instead, we need to focus on our plays and keep in mind that we can work as a team. Our mindset from the start was fear so coming on with that kind of mind process, we were setting ourselves up for failure. We need to trust in ourselves and know that we can do this because we practice all of this at practice and most importantly, we are a team.?

Sophomore Viviana Hinojosa, who had 1 steal, agrees with Avila on containing positive attitude. The team needs more desire to win and succeed, because the team will not reach the top without effort and willingness to execute. When playing aggressively as a team the they can keep up with opposing teams.

?We need more energy and more will power,? Hinojosa said. ?We went into the game thinking we were going to lose because they are a good team but we could have kept up with them. There was not really any aspect of the game that were great at so we should have been able to cause some damage against them but we did not care enough.?

Hensley, who had 10 points, 4 rebounds and 1 assist, says that when the team is losing by numerous points, she needs to push the team forward and encourage younger players to try their best until the very last second.

?I need to encourage the players and let them know that I believe in them,? Hensley said. ?Also, remind them what we can do as a team. I need to help them realize what it is that they need to do individually as well as to improve the game. I expect the players to latch onto the information that I give so that as a team we can do well. I also expect them to give effort even when we are down by a lot. ?

Despite losing by over 40 points, assistant coach Michele Graham is still fond of her players for not quitting. She also believes that no matter what the scoreboard says, she wants her players to know that no matter what the result is, they are playing for God.

?It does not matter if we win or lose as long as we try our best,? Graham said. ?I have been training the girls for close to three months now and all of them improved so much in such short amount of time. They all have so much potential and I am still going to be proud of them even if we lose. I appreciate all of the efforts that they give and besides, we are playing for God and his glory not for ourselves.?

Coach Reynolds agreed and was upbeat despite the loss.

?We all need to make sure that we are prepared mentally and physically,? Reynolds said. ?The way to do that starts with me preparing the team and the team responding in a game as a unit. Even though we lost, the improvement in rebounding during the second half got better.?

The Eagles will next play Riverdale Cowgirls on Jan. 17, 2012, at 6:30 p.m. For more information on Lady Eagle Basketball, read Girls basketball sport shorts: Eagles overcome earlier loss, beat Bakersfield