Campus celebrates 25th anniversary

As the campus 25th anniversary has passed and the 26th year is well underway, the faculty is looking to not only celebrate the passing of 25 successful years, but to honor all the accomplishments over the school’s history and to look forward to the future.

“The 25th year becomes a marker,” Tim Wilkins, superintendent of 26 years, said. “It gives you that time to stop and say wow look at all God has accomplished. It is a time to reflect back but also a time to look forward.”

During April of this year, the faculty and parents celebrated the 25-year marker during the annual school auction.

Although the administration celebrated, the student body seemed to be a little less aware of the fact that campus is entering its 26th year.

“I never knew that Fresno Christian had been around for this long,” Erica McIntyre, ’04, said. “I think they should have brought back some alumni to speak or at least made it a bigger deal to the students.”

Despite the small size of the school it has accomplished an incredible amount over the years.

“The school has set long term goals and set high standards,” Molly Sargent, dean of women, said. “Our school is very progressive for its size. When we got our own gym, music suite and tennis courts it made us seem like a real school because it was easier for us to schedule events. It gives us permanence.”

The gym addition to the school not only set a sense of durability but also gave a feeling of refuge.

“The gym has been the most influential because I have so much invested in it,” Christopher Schultz, student activities director, said. “I have seen some amazing things happen like winning championships with volleyball and basketball. The gym has provided a place for refuge. It is a good place to be when life gets tough. To have something that is our own and we can use freely is amazing.”

Besides the new physical addition to the school there has been growth in academic programs.

“I think the best addition to our school is academic decathlon,” Derrick Lehman, ’04, said. “The sports are great at our school also but as far as academics our team has done a lot of amazing things for its size.”

There is also a large sense of God on campus. Other than the administration meeting once a week, there are also various prayer groups such as Moms in Touch that meet frequently to pray over the school.

“Prayer has had the greatest influence over students lives,” George Freeman, dean of students for 22 years, said. “I know that parents behind the scenes that have prayed for me and the school over the years. It shows me that there is a group of people that believe prayer has control over peoples lives and property.”