Girls' basketball sport shorts: FC loses to Tranquillity

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
Latest girls’ basketball shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ basketball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com.The Eagles are currently 2-10 overall and 0-1 in the West Sequoia League as of Jan. 21. The Eagles will next play against Caruthers High School, Jan. 20 at 6 p.m.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
EAGLES LOSE SECOND LEAGUE GAME OF SEASON–Jan. 20
In spite of losing the league opener earlier in the week, Eagles got back on the court, traveling to Tranquillity to face the Tigers. During pre season, Eagles beat the Tigers by close to 20 points in the Lady Aztec Invitational.

Even though the game against the Tigers was a winnable match, the Eagles panicked and lacked energy when they found out senior captain Nicole Hensley was going to be absent due to sickness. Despite Hensley’s absence, the Eagles played passionately. However, young Eagles were in need of Hensley’s leadership on the court and fell to Tranquillity, 39-23, Jan. 20.

Both teams kept the score close in the first quarter. While the Tigers scored 2 pointers and lay ups by utilizing post players, the Eagles’ man to man defense earned them steals. With the help of point guards, senior captain Brandi Thompson was able to score 9 points and the score was tied, 9-9, after the first quarter.

After a tight quarter, head coach Santino Reynolds encouraged sophomore Rayna Endicott to shoot more. Although Endicott was unable to score, she gained an opportunity to shoot a free throw, earning 1 point for the team. Besides Endicott, captain Thompson led the team by scoring 5 points, but the Tigers led, 19-15, at the half.

During half time, atmosphere in the Eagles’ locker room was dismal as they were losing by 10 points. Coach Reynolds instructed the team to keep their emotions under control and told them to play with completeness.

In the last two quarters, sophomore Hannah Avila scored 1 point for the first time in the season by shooting a free throw. As the Eagles scored 8 points, the Tigers were able to score 20 points in the second half by boxing out and rebounding better than FC.

FC was led by Thompson, who finished the game with 21 points, 10 rebounds and 3 steals.

According to Reynolds, containing proper mind set is essential when playing basketball. Even with outstanding skills and plays, mental breakdowns during games will stop the team from victory.

“We had a few mental breakdowns during the game,” Reynolds said. “Also, we did not make a lot of open shots. The other team did a great job of taking away Brandi and they made shots by doing so. It is very crucial to control emotion on the floor. Remaining calm is very necessary to have success as a team on the floor.”

Eagle assistant coach Jim White commends Thompson for filling in Hensley’s spot by guiding the team.

“Our team worked very hard tonight,” White said. “We had a few lapses in effort, but Brandi did a great job of putting her team mates in positions to contribute. In the end, the difference was that Tranquillity executed their offense and made their shots down the stretch.”

According to Eagle assistant coach Josh Gilio, he plans on making practices more competitive and focus on rebounds and boxing out. He also wants his players to get used to the game pace.

“I think we have a hard time applying skills we practice in games because we are a very inexperienced team,” Gilio said. “To prepare for the next game we need to put the team in game situations during practice. The best way to gain experience and become more comfortable in games is to make practice just like a game.”

Endicott, who had 1 point and 4 rebounds, says that the team needs to work on communication on the floor and taking responsibility. Even though the team lost by 16 points, she is fond of her teammates for playing their best.

“I was a little nervous when I heard Nicole was not playing,” Endicott said. “But I knew it was not going to be an excuse. We cannot just rely on one person to do everything. We all need to take responsibility by guarding our man, and communicate with each other at all times. But I am still proud of all of us for playing our best when we were missing a player.”

According to Thompson, she agrees with Gilio and says that rebounding and boxing out is a crucial part of the game. Also, basketball is a team sport and it cannot be done by one individual but the whole team.

“I feel like we could have won if all of us contributed,” Thompson said. “But we didn’t at all. So it was hard kind of doing it all by myself. They defeated us because they were knocking down shots and rebounding. But we weren’t doing any of those.”

The Eagles will next travel to face the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan 24 at 6 p.m.