Boys' basketball sport shorts: Eagles prove victorious over Riverdale (PODCAST)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 19-1 overall and 5-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 3. According to Maxpreps.com, FC is ranked 2nd in the state for D-V basketball.

The Eagles will continue the 2011-12 season with a home game against the Tranquillity Tigers, Feb. 7 at 7:30.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
FC DEFEATS RIVERDALE, Feb. 3.
The Eagles started the second half of league play with an away game against the Riverdale Cowboys, Feb. 3. Unlike the last time they faced each other, the score went back and forth as both teams contested for the win. Electricity was in the air as passionate fans cheered for their team. FC kept their composure down the stretch and ended up defeating the Cowboys, 65-55.

The Eagles are currently on an 18 game winning streak with an overall record of 19-1. Their win over Riverdale marks their 5th win in league play.

FC opened the game with a quick 4 points from senior Brady Lee. The three year varsity point guard would later go on to score 16 points and dish 5 assists. The Eagles were able to score multiple points in transition. Senior Cooper Belmont got the ball in the open court and scored 6 in the first. Riverdale responded by feeding the ball to Jesus Cabello, ?12. Though Cabello was face-guarded, he still found ways to get offensive rebounds and put backs. The big man scored 8 points in the first to help give his team early momentum. Going into the second the Eagles led, 18-13.

FC came out a little stagnant in the second quarter. They had trouble executing on offense and they picked up several fouls on defense. Riverdale began fouling the Eagles left and right. FC struggled to make free-throws and allowed the Cowboys to stay in the game. Cabello got into early foul trouble and was taken out to be preserved for later play. Seniors Ryan Neufeld and Tyler Krigbaum each scored 4 in the second to help their team keep the lead. Both of these big men finished the game with 10 points. Going into halftime, the Eagles were up, 38-28.

FC came out of the locker room with resolve to put the Cowboys away. Though they hoped to execute better from both ends of the court, FC struggled to make shots in the half-court set. Riverdale caught fire on offense and cut down the point margin. The gym was getting heated as Riverdale fans bellowed out cheers for their home team. Chandler Vargas, ?12, and Neufeld had to sit out due to foul trouble.

The Cowboys took the lead in the middle of the third quarter. Belmont hit a 3 to garner a roar from FC?s faithful fans. The Eagles kept their cool in the midst of adversity and continued to fight. Going into the final quarter the Eagles led, 46-45.

In a turn of events, Cabello fouled out early in the fourth. The powerhouse had already done enough damage to the Eagles with 23 points. Lee attacked the hoop and scored multiple buckets to increase his team?s lead. Belmont also paced the Eagles with 7 points in the fourth. He ended up tying Cabello as the game high scorer with 23 points.

The Eagles ran into trouble when Neufeld and Vargas fouled out with minutes to go in the game. Riverdale?s Isaac Andrade, ?12, scored 6 in the fourth to help give his team positive momentum. As the game came down the wire, FC hit shots and garnered a significant lead.

FC played stronger defense and prevented the Cowboys from getting back in the game. Riverdale tried to prolong the game by fouling the Eagles but it didn?t get them back in the game. FC rallied together and finished with a 65-55 win.

All in all, the game was drastically different than the last time the Eagles had beaten the Cowboys by 34. Despite struggling to execute, Lee says that staying collected helped his team get the win.

?It really helped that we kept our composure throughout the game,? Lee said. ?We didn?t panic when Riverdale took the lead. Hopefully this win will give us momentum for our big week ahead.?

Coach Josh Justin believes FC’s team defense was a major reason why they won.

“We played a very close game for over three quarters before we were finally able to pull ahead and hold on for the victory,” Justin said. “Throughout the game we struggled to make shots, but we played great team defense. It was our defense effort that helped us to be victorious.”

The Eagles will next host the Tranquillity Tigers, Feb. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out
Boys’ basketball sport shorts: FC beats Parlier in tough battle (VIDEO).

PODCAST: Vargas reviews season, anticipates Senior Night, Feb. 7, 2012–