Boys' soccer sport shorts: Fowler slips past Eagles

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(For the previous game, check out the Boys’ soccer sport shorts: Caruthers plows through FC. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-5 in the West Sequoia League and 2-16 overall as of Jan. 27. The Eagles will next host Parlier Panthers at home, Jan. 31.

BOYS’ SOCCER, 2011-12

FOWLER PULLS THROUGH, WINS 3-1–Jan. 27
After playing each league team once, FC came to their second portion of the season where they replayed the Fowler Redcats, Jan. 27. Although they previously lost 5-0, the Eagles were in reach of a win, but let their lead slip and lost 3-1.

Midway into the first half, senior Austin Rurik made a fast break for goal, cutting past defenders to knock in FC’s first goal since the Garces Holiday Soccer Festival, Dec. 17, to put the Eagles up 1-0. However, Fowler had their own offensive attack and senior Jordon Gonzales was able to elude the Eagles’ defense and score, tying the game, 1-1.

“It was really refreshing to finally score,” Rurik said. “We got a feel for the ball early and we controlled the ball a lot of the first half. It was very nice to have the ball at our feet on their side of the field and have shots and chances on goal.”

Head coach Matt Markarian implemented assistant coach Garret Markarian’s new positioning for the team and found FC excelled with the change.

“I think our team has finally found a style of play that it is comfortable playing,” Markarian said. “Coach Garret Markarian implemented a new line up and style and it has really clicked.”

Within a minute of the second half, senior captain Josh Hopper suffered a knee injury, taking him out of the game. This forced a change in positions and consequently their hold of the game. Gonzales scored two more goals to win the game 3-1.

“Josh is one of the vital parts of our team,” Rurik said. “We don’t have a lot of defensive players, but he is definitely one. He knows what he’s doing back there, he’s comfortable and wants to keep the ball out of the net as much as possible. When he went out it left a huge gap in our defense.”

Keeper Mitch Weibert says he was encouraged by their performance against Fowler and hopes to carry the intensive play into the upcoming games.

“I do think with our new style of play, we have a chance to be very competitive and hopefully victorious in the upcoming league games,” Weibert said.

The Eagles will next host Parlier Panthers at home, Jan. 31.