Class of '14 takes second shot at NOTS

With a year of experience, the sophomore class hopes to make their Night of the Stars (NOTS) movie a moment to remember. For many members, acquiring no awards last year had its downs, but they hope to see their film surpass any standards that are held for them.

The sophomore’s chose to recreate the 1998 remake of The Parent Trap. The twins will be played by Mikayla Messer (Annie James) and Annaleah Madison (Hallie Parker). Sophomores Eric Cowin and Annalise Rosik will play the roles of the parents Nick Parker and Elizabeth James.

Considering The Parent Trap to be a great choice for this year’s movie, Madison remains hopeful that it will turn out successfully. She believes the cast and crew will be able to create a film filled with comedy and heartfelt moments.

“I was excited to hear what movie we were doing this year,” Madison said. “It was even better when I was asked to be one of the twins along with my best friend Mikayla. I was nervous at first but knew this would be a great experience.”

Co-directors Tynin Fries and Annalise Rosik are enthusiastic about their film. Fries hopes to outshine last year’s flick and at least win one award in recognition of their hard work.

“I believe this year’s movie will surpass last year’s,” Fries said. “I want to give the seniors a run for their money. We actually have a script and and five different locations to film, including Calvin Crest and an actual hotel. I’m very confident that the work were doing is good and I hope we’ll have an award to show for it.”

Film director Bobby Christopher came back on board this year to help instruct the route of filmmaking. Because the process has gone well, Christopher has confidence.

“It was very easy-going,” Christopher said. ” We got the original script of The Parent Trap and started writing form there. Tynin and Annalise were great to work with because they had a lot of creative ideas. It took us about six to seven hours but the time seemed to fly right by because of the great times we had.”

As a first time participant, Messer had no idea what to expect of the filming process. Luckily for her the procedure has been quite simple. Memorizing lines is the least of her worries when it comes to shooting the scenes, she says.

“I didn’t know if it was going to be hard or easy,” Messer said. “It was a completely knew experience for me and I was unsure of how it would go down. Surprisingly it was pretty easy. We only shot about 30 seconds at a time so it was quite simple to memorize my lines. The most difficult part was staying in character because it was hilarious whenever someone would mess up even just the slightest bit.”

For some, NOTS simply does not fit into their hectic schedule. Jieun Seo cannot seem to find the time to involve another activity in her life at the moment. She finds herself overwhelmed with the amount of work she has to complete, unable to finish it all in time to incorporate filming into her life.

“Due to sports and homework I cannot be involved with the movie this year,” Seo said. “The weekends are when filming usually occurs but I need those couple of days to catch up on any homework, rest, and occasionally help my aunt with her business. If my schedule opens up a bit I hope next year I can be a part of it because I hear it’s very entertaining.”

Although Madison knew members of the crew working with her she did not know them on a personal level. Shooting this flick gave her a chance to get to know some peers in her grade a bit more.

“Being a part of this movie was a great way to get to know people more,” Madison said. “Of course I know all their names but with some it was nothing more than that. This gave me a chance to see what their personality was like. It was a great opportunity for me to become better friends with other people.

For more information on NOTS movies, read the Feb. 1 article, Seniors aim for triumph with NOTS film.