• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Girls' soccer wins Fowler Tournament

In a marathon afternoon, the girls’ soccer team played six games in 25 hours and stood alone undefeated to win the Fowler tournament on Dec. 7.

“We had three shut outs and three wins,” Michelle Smith, team captain, ’04, said. ” I can’t believe we got first place I was so excited. Our soccer team is so big I think its really cool that we all got to play and that the other girls helped the new girls really well.”

Not only was winning the tournament and bringing home a trophy fun but the team appeared to bond as a team on and off the field. It was the third time in the last four years the team has won the tournament.

“It was a lot of fun hanging out with the team and playing all of the other teams,” Maddie Ervin, ’04, said. ” That was our first time that we all played together as a team during a real game.”

Even as the girls were successful in the tournament, their expectations to “go Valley” can only be attained by hard work and commitment during practice.

“Just because we did well in the Fowler tournament doesn’t mean that we can not take practice seriously any more,” Smith said. ” We really need to start working harder and come together more as a team because we all want to get to Valley and can only get there if we work hard during the week.”

Not only do the members have a goal of getting to Valley but also the coach believes it as well.

“Everyone has the opportunity to win Valley and this team is no different,” Robert Foshee, head coach, said. “It’s a matter of how much work and dedication the team is willing to invest. We have a good mix of returning talent and new comers with a lot of potential.”

So far in the pre season no serious injury’s have arose like last year when the team suffered a serious injury.

“I got side tackled and fell over a girl’s leg,” Ashley Knepper, ’03, said. “I broke my collar bone and dislocated my arm. I didn’t get to play in the play offs and we didn’t have enough people on the team for subs so most of the girls on the field got very tired fast.”

The girls on the team seem to know that being injured is part of playing the game and enjoy comparing battle wounds from the games.

“After a game most of us compare our battle wounds (the scares attained during the game) and see whose is the worst,” Morgan Rigby, ’04, said. “Its just a part of the game to be hurt. Its good that we have so many new players on the team though because this year if somebody gets hurt we will have enough subs.”

Other than there being 15 new girls on the team, there is also a new assistant coach, Andrea Baier, who be helping out Foshee.

“I think Andy is a really good coach,” Kimberly Bimat,’05, said. “She is a tough coach who teaches and works us hard on the field but then off the field she is really cool to talk to and laugh with. The practices are fun but the tournaments are the best part of the season.”

Other than the games the team also loves to eat and hang out around each other.

“I can’t wait until the Garces Tournament, (Dec. 20-21)” Ashley Gable, ’05, said. “That is always a lot of fun because we all become closer as a team and there is a lot of food. I can’t wait to start the actual season I think we are going to do great things. ”

Not only are the players excited about the tournaments but the coach also looks forward to them.

“I always look forward to the process of the season,” Foshee said. “Because the wins and the losses are forgotten soon but the memories in between are blessings.”

While soccer attendance is not as high as basketball during the winter season, there are still many fans looking forward to the home games.

“I am really looking forward to watching the girls play this year,” Adam Leisle, ’04, said. “I am playing soccer on the guys team and I think that both teams are going to be pretty good this year. There will be some really good games this season.”

The girls next play in the Garces Tournament in Bakersfield on Dec. 20-21. Currently the girls are 7-1-1 after tying C.V.C., 0-0, on Dec. 13.