Freshmen alter vision of NOTS film

New to making a Night of the Stars (NOTS) movie, the freshmen are challenged to step up to the plate and exceed the norm of a rookie. The freshmen class plans to construct a remake of the 2009 sports film, The Blind Side.

The movie is directed by Jennifer Smith, who is co-producer with Chris Grossman. Main characters include Grossman as Michael Oher, a troubled young man, who is taken in by the wealthy southern family, the Touhys, Sabrina Henderson (Leigh Anne) and Jordan Castro (Sean).

Although Grossman does not claim that the movie will be the very best, he sees it as an accomplishment for the freshman class, especially in the realm of humor.

“I don’t think it will be one of the best movies a freshmen class has ever made,” said Grossman. “But we still worked really hard on it and had a lot of fun.

Recognizing his class’s disposition, the filmmakers chose to portray The Blind Side as a spoof rather than making a stretch to create a serious movie.

“I think it fits us because we are a group of irresponsible, funny and a sociable group,” Grossman said. “Even though we started with a cast that was more like the actual movie, we had some difficulties. So instead we made a spoof of the movie that worked better to fit the cast.”

Starting off, Smith feels like it will be difficult task filming, but enjoys the challenge of directing this year.

“It has been pretty good starting off and we have a lot of bloopers,” Smith said. “Just a a little challenging, but it’s been really fun, but a lot of work because I am also editing.”

In the area of acting, Henderson has personal goals to prove her talent, and aims to win an award.

“I don’t know if we will win some awards, but I am going for best actress because I’m fierce and fabulous,” Henderson said. “Seniors can win all the other awards even though they rig it.”

Out of many of the freshmen who did not participate, Caitlin Gaines did not have the time to attend meetings and would rather participate in NOTS for a different movie.

“I didn’t have time and I didn’t really like the movie selection this year,” Gaines said. “I might participate in next year’s movie if there are more people participating next year.”

As an extra in the film, Justin Porter observes many benefits of making the movie. Although his expectations did not meet up with reality, the results were positive, he says.

“It was fun that we got to grow in friendship as a class as we goofed off,” Porter said. “I thought it was going to be a little more profession, but instead it was a lot more relaxed even though it was a lot of work. I think the movie will turn out good.”

For more information on NOTS movies, read the Feb. 3 article, Class of ’14 takes second shot at NOTS or watch the freshman trailer of their spoof of The Blind Side.