Boys' basketball sport shorts: Eagles fly together, defeat Tranquillity (VIDEO, PODCAST)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 20-1 overall and 5-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 7. According to Maxpreps.com, FC is ranked 2nd in the state for D-V basketball.

The Eagles will continue the 2011-12 season with their senior night game against the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
FC ADVANCES TO 20-1 AFTER WIN OVER TIGERS, Feb. 7 .
The Eagles squared off against the Tranquillity Tigers in a non-league game, Feb. 7. FC executed on offense and pressured their opponents on defense. All of the Eagles were able to score points to help contribute to the win. Though the Tigers battled hard, FC finished with an 85-52 victory.

The Eagles came out fast with a quick three pointer from senior Cooper Belmont. Belmont ended the game with 25 points, 5 rebounds and 6 steals. FC stole the ball multiple times within the first minute of the game. The Eagles, however, turned the ball over while attempting to score in transition. Tranquillity scored points by attacking the hoop and hitting a couple three-pointers. FC struggled to play help defense in the half-court set. The Tigers caught a streak and soon took the lead. Going into the second, Tranquillity was up, 17-14.

Head coach Josh Justin says that every single player contributed something positive during the game.

?It was only the second time this year where every varsity player was able to score at least 2 points,? Justin said. ?We had a tough first quarter, but we played great for the remainder of the game.?

As the second quarter began, FC cranked up the level of their intensity. They caught on fire offensively, regaining their lead. The Eagles executed a full-court press to push the tempo of game. They also gained momentum off of fast breaks and defensive stops. Tranquillity called a timeout in order to regroup.

Senior Ryan Neufeld, who finished with 12, helped pace the Eagles with 6 points in the second. Backed by the cheers of their home crowd, FC continued to rack up points on the offensive end. They outscored the Tigers 24-6 in the second quarter. Going into halftime the Eagles were up, 38-28.

Coach Justin mentions two seniors who played an outstanding game.

?Raman played extremely hard last night, and had his best game of the year,? Justin said. ?Chandler Vargas played amazing defense and finished the game with 11 deflections.?

During the last few games the Eagles struggled to execute in the third quarter. This time however, they maintained their intensity on both ends of the court. Senior Ramandeep Singh held his own in the post with 6 points in the third. Though senior point-guard Brady Lee had a couple turnovers in the third, he ended the game with 11 assists and 8 points. Senior Chandler Vargas, who finished with 8, had a season high of 11 tips. The Tigers combated FC by finding ways to score in the key. Tranquillity?s Ramon Leal led his team in scoring with 20 points. Going into the fourth, the Eagles led 60-38.

Singh, who finished with 8 points, says that he played without getting frustrated at himself. He credits one of his coaches for giving him encouragement and advice.

?I talked with coach Ross [Charest] who told me not to get frustrated if I missed a shot,? Singh said. ?He told me that if I miss a shot then I have chance to get another shot off.?

Both teams gave their benches significant time in the fourth quarter. Before he left the game, Tyler Krigbaum had 4 more points in the 4th and finished with 10. Freshman Lance Henderson stood out in the middle as he pulled down 4 rebounds and 4 points in the final frame while junior Stephan Melendez scored the final 2 points from under the basket much to the approval of the home crowd. Henderson finished the game with 6 points. The Eagles outscored the Tigers 25-14 and won, 85-52.

Singh is already looking ahead towards Friday’s big game against Caruthers. If the Eagles pull out a win against the Blue Raiders, they will clinch the West Sequoia League title.

?I?m super excited for senior night,? Singh said. ?There will be lots of people at home. The fans get into it and it pumps us up. Last night I did pretty good and I?m hoping to do even better on Friday.?

Justin believes that Senior Night will be one of the most exciting games of the season. He looks forward to honor the seniors in front of their friends, teachers, and family.

?Senior Night is always fun and exciting,? Justin said. ?It is usually the biggest crowd of the year which makes for an exciting atmosphere. This year it will be even more exciting because we play our biggest rival. This year’s team has seven amazing senior leaders on it, and I cannot wait to be able to recognize them for all of their hard work this season.?

PODCAST: Tranquillity postgame, Caruthers rematch: Feb. 10 , 2012–

The Eagles received press from KMPH Fox 26, in an article titled: Eagles Cruise While Knights Bruise. A highlight video courtesy Ralph Wood is featured below.

The Eagles will next host the Caruthers Blue Raiders for their senior night game, Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out
Boys’ basketball sport shorts: Eagles prove victorious over Riverdale (PODCAST).