BRIEF: Athletic Senior Nights approach (PODCAST, VIDEO)

As the winter sport season nears its close, the end brings along a joy as the parents and fellow students recognize their fellow senior players. At Senior Night, players will be honored from the boys and girls basketball, boys’ and girls’ soccer.

Senior Night for girls’ soccer will take place in the North Field at 3 p.m., Feb. 9. Boys’ soccer will be honored at 3 p.m. on the North Field, followed by girls’ basketball at 6 p.m. and boys’ basketball at 7:30 p.m. in the FC Gym, Feb. 10. Parents and supporters should arrive to the games early in order to view these recognitions.

Girls’ soccer coach Tony Martinez has taken the responsibility as a first-time FC coach for the team and has led the team to multiple victories.

?I have seen both Brooke [Stobbe, ’12] and Gee [Park ’12] improve tremendously this year,? Martinez says. “Both enjoy playing the game. Although we will have been together for only one season, I am going to miss both of them. My hope for them is that they took the memories of making friends, being teammates and a great season of soccer.?

In addition to recognizing the seniors’ accomplishments, Athletic Director Dan Stockton encourages the FC community to support the sports teams in their final games.

“Friday night is going to be a memorable evening for all Fresno Christian students, faculty, parents and friends,” Stockton said. “The seniors have many great memories and experiences they will never forget. Our basketball team has won the league and we are off to the playoffs soon. Support us and we will always be grateful!”

Friday will also mark when the basketball banners of the 2010 girls Valley Championship and the 2011 boys Valley Championship will be unveiled.

One of the girls basketball coach, Jim White, has been coaching for years and is happy with the improvements made by the girls.

“It has been a privilege coaching these girls this season,” White said. “I have been coaching a few since 5th grade and some are new this year. The effort put in by all has been greatly appreciated.”

Following the basketball games, students Fifth Quarter will be held in the FC Gym at 9:30 p.m. For $5, students will receive pizza and drinks.

For more information on sports, read the Feb. 3 article, BRIEF: FC coach to interview on ESPN. FC supporters can request more information from the athletic office by calling 559.299.1695 or by email to Michelle Regnerus.

PODCAST: Vargas reviews season, anticipates Senior Night, Feb. 7, 2012–