Girls' basketball sport shorts: Fowler trumps Eagles

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(For the previous game, check out the Girls’ basketball sport shorts: Caruthers downs Eagles on Senior Night. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ basketball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ basketball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com.The Eagles are currently 3-17 overall and 1-8 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 14. The Eagles will next play against , Feb. 14 at 4:30 p.m.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12

EAGLES DEFEATED BY RAIDERS–Feb. 10
During the second round of league play, the Eagles traveled to Fowler to take on the Redcats, Feb. 14.

After previously losing to Fowler by 18 points earlier in the season, the Eagles aspired for a victory, but fell short, resulting in a loss, 63-20. For this game, FC’s coaching staff encouraged the Eagles to stay aggressive and box out both offensively and defensively.

Despite the Eagles? effort to rebound, missing lay-ups hurt FC tremendously. The Eagles had 16 missed lay-ups in the first half while Fowler capitalized on FC’s missed shots, driving to the basket for easy lay-ups, finishing the half 30-8.

Despite having a rough first half, the Eagles were not ready to be defeated. Eagle head coach Santino Reynolds pulled out 4 of his starters to go over the plays once again. While the starters reviewed the plays, players on the bench went in the game to receive valuable game time.

According to Eagle assistant coach Josh Gilio, he is impressed with the effort the substitutes gave while replacing the starters.

?Tonight?s loss was a tough one to take,? Gilio said. ?We just got beat in all phases of the game but those games are going to happen over the course of a long season. On the positive side, our bench played very well in the second half and gave us some great energy.?

According to sophomore guard Viviana Hinojosa, who had 1 steal, it is necessary for all of the players to put aside distractions once on the court.

?We worked together as a team tonight, but there are still some areas we need to work on.? Hinojosa said. ?I think there were moments when we kind of gave up because we were so mentally and physically exhausted. Even when we try to push ourselves, we were so tired from practice and school and it just got so overwhelming. For our next game, we need to leave all of our distractions outside the court and focus on the game.?

Senior post Sarah Schoneman says despite losing by over 40 points, she is fond of her teammates for their effort and acknowledges that she needs to be more aggressive on the court.

?Even though we lost, I am glad that we tried our best,? Schoneman said. ?In order to help the team, I need to know the plays better when we are on defense. Also, it is important that I am more aggressive because sometimes I am shy to go for the ball. ?

As the end of the season quickly approaches, Schoneman wants to make memories with her teammates instead of focusing solely on basketball.

?Overall, I had so much fun this season,? Schoneman said. ?We have one more game left, so I want to make the best of it. For the next few days, I want to give it all I have and finish the season strong. Also, instead of focusing only on basketball, I want to make good memories with my teammates.?

Freshman guard Hollie Tucker, who had 7 rebounds and 3 points, says the team needs to work on the fundamentals of basketball.

?Tonight?s game made me realize that I need to fix a lot of things,? Tucker said. ?As a guard, I need to drive to the basket more often; I tend to take 2 dribbles and pass it to either Brandi or Nicole but I need to stop that. Coach White tells me to be confident so I am going to believe in myself and drive to the basket on Friday. Rebounding, boxing out and shooting is also really important; all those basic things killed us tonight so we need to find a way to limit our mistakes.?

The final game of the season is away against the Parlier Panthers beginning at 6 p.m., Feb. 17.