Girls' softball sport shorts: FC faces Hoover High in scrimmage

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 0-0 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 16. The Eagles will next travel to play against Fresno High School, Feb. 22.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

EAGLES DEFEATED BY PATRIOTS–Feb. 16
The Eagles kicked off the season opener in a scrimmage game at home against the Hoover Patriots, Feb. 16. FC took this match as a way to analyze team dynamics and overall strategies that have been implemented by the new coaching staff.

The Eagles were eager for a win due to the preparation for the season, which began in late October with optional workouts and official practices since January. During these practices the coaching staff have been teaching the girls the fundamentals of softball, set plays, batting and the training of a new catcher, senior Raine Hayes.

Due to winter sports still being in session, the Eagles were left with 9 players, but plan to acquire a few more girls once basketball and soccer have ended. In the first inning, the Patriots immediately jumped ahead scoring 2 runs, but the Eagles were unable to return the damage.

Proceeding the first inning, Hoover continued to score and FC was unable to answer back due to struggles at the plate. As a result, the Patriots beat the Eagles, 9-1.

As a newcomer to the school, sophomore Jenna Weimer pitched for the Eagles. Due to being new to FC, Weimer utilized early practices to develop a trust with her catcher, Hayes.

According to Hayes, there are several key areas the team needs to improve on, but she commends fellow senior Dana King’s throw from outfield, which gained FC their third out.

?I thought the game went well,? Hayes said. ?It wasn?t the best we could have played, but it was a scrimmage so we still have time to improve. The highlight of the game was probably a throw of Dana?s. She caught a ball and threw it directly to 1st and got us the out; she did really well.?

According to the Eagles assistant coach Audrey Tamondong, the scrimmage against Hoover was an excellent learning experience for the team, despite losing by 8 runs. Though FC has a small quantity of players, Tamondong says she is satisfied with their dedication to the sport.

?Today?s scrimmage was merely the beginning of a new chapter of softball here at Fresno Christian,? Tamondong said. ?As of now, our quantity of players is small. However, we as a coaching staff could not ask for a better group of quality in our 2012 softball team.

“These young student athletes have hearts of gold, great dedication, commitment, integrity and the willingness to keep learning and give it their all to achieve their softball goals. Our scrimmage was a great opportunity to see what is needed in the development of building.?

Weimer says that the scrimmage exposed areas the team needs to work on before entering league. According to Weimer, she noticed a lack of communication, which she says is a crucial part of softball.

?We made a lot of mistakes, but it was also our first time playing a game together.? Weimer said. ?This game showed us the areas we need to work on, and that?s a good thing. Although the score didn?t turn out so pretty, we still tried our best. We definitely need to communicate better on what to do with the ball once it is in play. We also need to work on throws and catches in game situations.?

For Weimer, the scrimmaged allowed her to recognize aspects of her position, which need tweaking.

?As a pitcher, I need to toughen myself up mentally, and not be so hard on myself; also, just remain calm and relax.? Weimer said. ?I know we will all improve as the season progresses and we have more experience under our belt.?

Sophomore Illeana See, who played in 2nd base for the first time, enjoyed the scrimmage and found it to be a fun experience.

?The first scrimmage was definitely a ton of fun,? See said. ?I think all the stress and nerves we all had before the game went away when we got on the field. On the other hand, it definitely was a challenge because I have never played 2nd base before, but I am glad that I got to have my first experience during a scrimmage.?

Despite of being defeated by Hoover, See says that the team executed their plays well.

?Although we lost, there were some positive things we did,? See said. ?We had some pretty good plays, two people caught pop flys and we had some pretty good hits. I think overall we did really good for only having nine players.?

The Eagles will next travel to Fresno High to take on the
Warriors in the first official game of the season, Feb.22.