Teen modeling experiences vary

Walking down a runway or appearing in a clothing ad takes hours of makeup, hair styling and an hourglass figure. A teen career in modeling takes time, commitment and training. Many people start through the teachings of Barbizon. Barbizon is a school of modeling which trains people and provides them with an agency.

“Barbizon taught me how to be more confidant with who I am,” Kacie Filgas, ’05, said. “Now I am modeling for David’s Bridal.”

Girls often dream of fame and fortune as they represent cosmetics, clothing and swimsuits. Many models get hundreds maybe thousands of dollars every time they show off a dress or clothing item for a popular name brand. While several models become rich, a number of them only receive portfolio pictures for their effort.

“I get $25-$400 depending on who I am modeling for and if it is a popular name brand,” Deventria Howard, a former campus student, said. “I have been modeling for six years mainly for Calvin Klein and Gottschalks.”

Modeling and other forms of performance, such as dancing, bring money and success, but this sometimes causes performers to become self-conscious about their appearance. Even though they are considered beautiful, many models adopt intense diets, turn anorexic or bulimic, to fit the perfect body image.

“I enjoyed modeling a lot,” Jynna Clay, ’05, said. “But I quit because I was always worried about my weight and I never took the time to really know who I was inside.”

Other models have agencies that accept them the way they are and work with what they have. Sisters Megan Gable, ’03, and Ashley Gable, ’05, both model for David’s Bridal and Black Tie Tuxedoes.

“I like to model, so I really don’t think that there are many downfalls,” Ashley said. “The company doesn’t really say anything about my weight; they aren’t very picky.”

Megan and Ashley have been modeling for six and four years, respectively, and continue to do so. Even though they model bridal gowns, they both refuse to expose themselves to revealing apparel including tiny bikinis.

“We don’t do swimsuits; we do bridal gowns,” Megan said. “I wouldn’t do things or wear clothing items that show a lot of skin.”

As the Gable girls have shown, people can still model and not loose their integrity.

For more information on Barbizon and modeling, students and parents, can visit www.modelingschools.com or call (559) 255-4883.