Girls basketball sport shorts: Parlier tops FC

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(For the previous game, check out the Girls’ basketball sport shorts: Fowler trumps Eagles. Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ basketball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ basketball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com.The Eagles finished 3-18 overall and 1-9 in the West Sequoia League as of Feb. 17.

GIRLS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12

SEASON END

PANTHERS DEFEAT EAGLES IN WSL FINALE–Feb. 17
The Eagles traveled to play against the Parlier Panthers for the last league game of the season, Feb. 17.

After previously losing to Parlier by 18 points, the Eagles were eager to win their last game. In the first half, the Eagles came out with high energy, boxing out the Panthers and blocking the shots that went up. However, the Panthers knew that defeating the Eagles would earn them a spot in playoffs and stepped up their game in the second half to win, 60-34.

According to sophomore post Sarah Lim, she is glad the team finished the season with success.

?The game against Parlier was intense,? Lim said. ?We tried our best because we knew it was out last game. Also, we did a good job with communicating. I think we had a good season and I am happy that practices are over, but I am sad that I won?t be able to play with Nicole and Brandi next year.?

Eagle assistant coach Josh Gilio says that he appreciates the Eagles? effort to play hard. Although the players were inexperienced in the beginning, he is also fond of the team for making progress throughout the season.

?I thought we played a great game against Parlier,? Gilio said. ?They are a very good team, the best in our league, and they just beat us. I don?t think we lost that game because of anything we did wrong. In fact I thought we played one of our best games in the season. I am very grateful that I was given the opportunity to coach this team this year. It was a great experience and I am very proud of the progress that our team made over the course of the season.?

According to senior captain Nicole Hensley, who had 8 points, 2 steals and 3 assists, the team could have done a better job if they worked on rotations and boxing out. Hensley is satisfied that she gave everything she had for the last game of the season although.

?Playing the last game against Parlier was bittersweet,? Hensley said. ?I think we did awesome and I feel that I left everything out on the court. The problem that we had with Parlier was our rotations on defense but our boxing out as well. I think we finished it successfully for sure so I have no regrets.?

Hensley also commends her teammates for their dedication to the sport.

?Everyone gave it their best,? Hensley said. ?They also played to their best ability so I am so proud of everyone and how we finished the season strong.?

Reynolds says that the Eagles played as a team rather than individuals. For the next season, he plans on rebuilding the team.

?The girls played tough and together to end the season,? Reynolds said. ?It was a challenge to coach this year but I truly feel everyone, including myself, learned a lot this year. The plans for next year are to continue to build on things we worked on from this year; and to help develop an entire program not just a varsity team.?