My first NOTS: A retrospective

I’ve always loved movies. Watching them, making them, you name it. So when I first heard about Night Of The Stars (NOTS), I thought it was a great idea. My excitement for this event could not be contained.

Most people take a date to NOTS, so first on my to-do list was asking a girl to go with me. Seems easy enough, right? Wrong. First you have to decide who, then come up with a clever way of asking, and on top of all that, you just straight up need courage.

The first person that popped into my mind was my good friend freshman Sabrina Henderson. I felt that that it would be more comfortable to go with a friend (it being my first NOTS and all). Check.

But what method of asking could I use that would render me a worthy date? This question stumped me for a while. Then, out of nowhere, I had an epiphany. Every morning I do the announcements, along with Principal Todd Bennet and English teacher Greg Stobbe. So I thought, why not announce it? Long story short: she said yes.

Next step was getting a tux. Because Sabrina planned to wear a black dress with pink accessories, I got a black tux with a “watermelon” tie and vest, and I gotta say, we looked pretty sharp.

Student leadership freshmen, including myself, were up early the morning of NOTS, running the Parents’ Choice Award meeting. Once that was over, I returned home and chilled out until about 2 p.m. After I had gotten dressed and ready, it was time for pictures. I met a group of 15 others that took pictures at freshman Ivette Ibarra’s house, and traveled to The Grand 1401 in the same limo.

I loved the ride there — music blaring while we traversed Fresno. When we arrived, Sabrina and I waited in line to take pictures with Milne Photography, passing the time by striking up conversation with other waiting friends.

Once pictures were finished, we went upstairs and found our seats. After a half hour or so of socializing, we began dinner. Off and on throughout the night I emceed along with senior Austin Rurik, and juniors McKay Mohun and Kristen Rosenethal. Although it was tedious to have to leave my table near the back of the room and go all the way up to the stage repeatedly, I loved it.

After our fine dinner, the movies commenced. First the freshmen’s (The Blind Side), then the sophomores’ (The Parent Trap), followed by the juniors’ (How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days). Once this movie was finished, we ate dessert, a buffet style serving of cheesecake and various fruits and treats accompanied by melted chocolate. The seniors’ movie (Crazy, Stupid Love) rounded out the films.

The last part of the evening was when awards were handed out. McKay and I handed out two, and six went to the juniors. The freshmen only came away with one, as did the sophomores. Although I was disappointed by our winning (or lack thereof), I couldn’t help but applaud for the juniors, who had an absolutely outstanding movie.

Lastly was the drive home. Once I finally arrived at my abode, I changed out of my tux and into pajamas. Although I felt exhausted, I refused to go to sleep. So I watched The Bourne Supremacy then called it a night.

I cannot remember a better day of my life. From beginning to end, it was just a perfect day. Even though it would have been great by itself, the fact that I got to do all that with my close friends just was icing on the cake.

My favorite part would have to be the overall excitement of the night. The hilarious conversations, the music blaring in the limo, almost going blind from all the camera flashes, the inside jokes, the memories.

I think that the evening went by without a hitch, thanks to the outstanding work put in by Student Leadership, advisers Robert Foshee and Jane Gillespie, the caterers and all the parents. I don’t know how it could get better for next year, but for some weird reason, I know it will.

Needless to say, I absolutely loved NOTS and look forward to attending it in the future.

For more columns, read the Feb. 27 article, GOP race stumbles into March, Super Tuesday.