Noted author promotes LRC, parenting techniques

The campus Learning Resource Center (LRC) entertained renowned author Colleen Evans on December 5 to discuss parenting techniques and faith issues.

In her lifetime, Evans has held a prosperous acting career, founded Bel Air Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles, and enjoyed a lengthy authorship. Evans, author of nine books including Lord Teach Us To Pray, spoke on parenting students with learning disabilities and how to maintain faith in difficult situations

“The hard thing to understand is that faith is the one area in our lives where growing up means we must grow to be more like a child,” Evans said, “trusting simply in the goodness and complete knowledge of a father who has our best interest at heart.”

Although she addressed issues of faith, the main portion of Evans’ speech centered on parenting techniques. Several parents of students in LRC attended the meeting and left pleased and hopeful.

“Her speech was very good,” Michelle Thompson, mother of three children in LRC program, said. “It supplied me with a good foundation and techniques to help my kids and I was quite impressed.”

Along with impressing parents, Evans’ speech also made a large impact on Debbie Siebert, LRC director.

“Mrs. Evans’ speech gave parents exposure and an example of someone who has walked the journey before,” Siebert said. “It provided parents with encouragement, hope and helped them understand how very hard their children have to work. However, with discipline and encouragement, their kids can make it.”

LRC, now in its seventh year, offers more than chance for parenting tips, with five different programs for academic assistance, along with enrichment programs for students of all ages.

“LRC is here for you,” Siebert said, “Our instructional classes are very beneficial. Please come and utilize our services.”

For additional information on the campus learning center, its costs and appointments, contact Siebert at 559-299-1695 or read the article, “Campus Learning Center promotes achievement” dated Oct. 11 located in the archive section of this online paper.