Boys' basketball sport shorts: Eagles punch ticket to Selland (VIDEO)

BOYS’ BASKETBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2011-12
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ basketball features.) For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2011-12 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 boys’ basketball schedule, home page, roster page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC finished 7-1 in the West Sequoia League. The Eagles are currently 23-2 overall as of Feb. 28. According to Maxpreps.com, FC has the 5th best record in the state for D-V basketball.

BOYS’ BASKETBALL, 2011-12
EAGLES BLOW PAST TIGERS IN SEMI-FINAL GAME, Feb. 28.
The No. 1-seeded Eagles hosted the No. 4-seeded Tranquillity Tigers in a playoff game, Feb. 28. After losing to Parlier in the last league game of the season, FC was hungry for the win. The Eagles were down 5-0 less than a minute into the game. However, due to strong defense and solid offense FC caught fire and garnered a big lead. The Eagles never looked back, defeating the Tigers, 73-34.

Senior Chandler Vargas finished the game with 7 points, 2 steals, and 2 assists. Going into the game, Vargas says his team was determined to get the victory.

“I think we definitely had an advantage being at home,” Vargas said. “The hard thing is, once you’ve played a team twice they know what you’re going to run and how to guard you. After our loss we were really hungry to get a win and go to Valley.”

Over the last two years FC has beaten Tranquillity all 6 times they have faced each other. The Tigers came out strong, scoring the first few points of the game. The Eagles responded by hitting their shots and getting stops of defense. Senior Cooper Belmont gave his team momentum by scoring 8 points in the first. The league MVP would later finish with 18 points along with teammate Ryan Neufeld. The Eagles took the lead and continued to play with intensity. Going into the second, FC was up, 19-8.

Vargas feels like going to Selland is a dream come true. He shares what he was thinking after the game.

“Right now I feel so excited,” Vargas said. “I started playing in fourth grade and it’s every kids dream to make it to Valley. To do it with my best friends two years in a row us like the best feeling ever.”

The Eagles began to roll in the second quarter, scoring bucket after bucket. First-Team All league selection Ryan Neufeld sparked his team on offense with 8 points in the third. Neufeld also pulled down 9 rebounds and had 6 steals. Junior Brandon McCormick hit a big 3 to increase his team?s lead. Tranquillity struggled on the offensive end. FC pushed the tempo of the game by scoring on multiple fast breaks. The Eagles also executed a full court press which resulted in turnovers from the Tigers. Backed by the cheers of their home crowd, FC pushed their lead to 10 points. Going into halftime the Eagles led, 37-27.

Head coach Josh Justin feels like his team?s defense was a major factor in their victory.

“Our defensive pressure helped to force numerous turnovers which led to lots of easy fast break points,” Justin said. “I am very proud of how hard each of our players played. Throughout the night we had players diving for loose balls and out-hustling the other team.”

As the third quarter got underway, it was noticeable that Eagles were playing unselfish on offense. While Belmont scored less than normal, he finished with 5 assists. Senior Tyler Krigbaum finished with 8 points, scoring 2 in the third. FC kept the Tigers guessing by switching between a full-court press and a regular half-court defense.Tranquility made a little run near the end of the quarter but the Eagles stayed composed. At the end of the third the Eagles were up, 54-27.

The Tigers switched to a man-to-man defense in the fourth quarter in order to put more pressure on the Eagles. FC responded by finding lanes and driving to the hoop. In order to give his players more experience, Coach Justin took out four of his starters with about 3 minutes to go in the game. Freshman Lance Henderson stepped up and scored 2 points in the fourth. Senior point guard Brady Lee controlled the tempo on offense and looked to get his teammates open. Lee eventually finished the game with 9 points and 5 assists. Freshman Trevor Beal, who was recently pulled up from JV, scored a jump shot in the fourth to garner a roar from the stands. The Eagles rallied together and closed out the game. As the final buzzer rang, the scoreboard showed 73-34, FC.

Earlier in the season, the Eagles defeated the Laton Mustangs by 20 points. Coach Justin shares his thoughts on facing the No. 2-seeded Mustangs.

“Friday’s game against Laton should be a tough game,” Justin said. “Laton is playing very well right now and I know they will come ready to play. It should be a fun and exciting experience for our team to play at Selland. I am confident that our experience and defensive intensity should help us to have a great chance to win on Friday night.”

FC is next headed to the CIF Central Section Division V Championship game at Selland Arena. This year, the Eagles have the opportunity to win their second Valley Championship in a row. The game is scheduled for March 2 at 4 p.m.

For more information on the Eagles season, check out
Boys’ basketball sport shorts: FC loses battle against Parlier.