Midfielder returns after breaking fibula

Hopeful soccer players are gearing up now for what they hope to be a complementary season to the FC athletic program. Operating under the shadow of an outstanding football season, the team has much to prove if they hope to leave their mark in the record books.

With a 2-2 start, the team is working on its defense to improve its overall record.

“I think the team is very athletic this year,” senior midfielder Lyden Lazar said. “We are very talented offensively, and I think if we work at defense we will improve to become formidable competitors.”

Lazar has played already played for the team his freshman year. This year, however, in the first year that he is actually enrolled and taking class on campus.

Returning also this year is senior team leader Josh Risch. The talented center mid-fielder was forced to miss the every game last year after having suffered a broken right fibula in a football game near the end of the season.

“It doesn’t hurt so much anymore,” Risch said. “I started training again with my brother as soon as I could. I was a bit rusty at first, but I caught up again quickly.”

Some concern was raised with regards to whether or not Risch would be playing football again this year. His talents were needed, but coaches were reluctant to risk another injury that might force him to miss out on yet another season of soccer. The team soon decided that Risch would be reserved to kicking, hopefully lowering the risk of injury.

“The leg feels stronger now then at the beginning of the school year,” Risch said. “I still didn’t want to put another soccer season in jeopardy, which is why my football participation was limited to special teams.”

Having scored three of the teams goals in a 4-3 win against Immanuel on Dec. 12, Risch is happy to be back and contributing to a winning soccer program again. The Eagles will next host Fowler on Dec. 17.