Variety in fashion a hot topic

Buzz. The alarm clock goes off and, in a desperate attempt to get out of bed, many students stumble bleary-eyed through their morning regiment. The process of getting ready for school in the morning can take from a half hour to countless hours.

Fashion plays a huge part in teenage kids lives ranging from shoes, jackets, shirts, jeans, and many accessories. Students feel that fashion is one of the most important things about starting the day off right.

Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch are some of the favorite stores for the students on campus- but not all. There is a wide assortment of fashion on campus ranging from thrift stores to Hot Topic, SBI, Abercrombie and American Eagle.

“I strongly boycott Abercrombie and Hollister,” Molly Carlin, ’06, said. “They stand for so much of what is worldly and sell it through sex appeal; it is just not worth it to support them.”

On the contrary many others have nothing but praise towards Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch’s variety and fashionable clothes.

“I do not shop there just because everyone else does,” Krystal Kitahara, ’04, said. ” I buy my clothes there because I think they are cute, and that is why everyone likes them.”

It is said that fashion in today’s society is people dressing to impress. In recent searches of the Internet, girls and guys often suffer because of the fact that people treat them differently depending on what they wear. Some guys are just as in to fashion as girls and some just do not really care.

“I do not have any favorite stores my mom buys all my clothes,” Daniel Palms, ’05, said. “I dress for myself and my style is basically plaid.”

Also there are people like Brian Casey, ’03, who like to dress the way they feel.

“I shop where I want to and I dress the way my personality is,” Casey said. “Some of my favorite stores are Wavelengths, beach shops in Santa Barbara and the Salvation Army.”

On campus fashion is the way that the students express themselves. Some underclassmen try to make their name in high school by wearing the punk style. While others enjoy the trendy style that Abercrombie and Hollister represent.