Remember the Messengers win WSL Talent Show (VIDEO)

Rarely do students in rival schools compete against one another outside of a sports venue. However, over the last decade, students from the West Sequoia and West Sierra Leagues (WSL) have competed for bragging rights in the arts arena.

The 2012 WSL Talent Show was born out of an interest from normally rival schools to share ideas in combined leadership class sessions throughout the school year in an effort to improve student spirt. It was held in Ground Zero on the FC campus, Feb. 23.

The Talent Show first place title went to Remember the Messengers, a band composed of five members from Fowler. Choosing the song “Heaven” by Los Lonely Boys proved to be a good fit for lead singer, Noe Garza, as the band’s six months of practice paid off.

Fifth place went to FC’s Ivette Ibarra with her rendition of “Revelation Song by Craig and Dean Phillips,” fourth to Stanley from Mendota with an original guitar solo entitled “Hungry Caterpillar,” Marissa Suarez and Bianca DeLaTorre from Caruthers received third with their duet and Tranquility’s Alejandra Sehagun took second with “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys.

Out of WSL meetings each quarter, the schools partner and create a combined talent show meant to present an opportunity for music, drama and art students to perform and compete for cash prizes.

Two campus students will compete with representatives from West Sierra League schools Firebaugh, Mendota and Tranquillity, as well as West Sequoia League schools Caruthers, Fowler, Parlier and FC.

In the 2012 competition, FC representative were sophomore Mark Bennett and freshman Ivette Ibarra for the finale in Ground Zero, Feb. 23.

The winners in both leagues will receive cash prizes — $100 for first place, $75 for second and $50 for third place.

In the Sequoia competition in 2011 WSL Talent Show, FC junior Brady Lee, who presented a magic act, took first place.

For more information, read the Feb. 17, 2011 article, Talent Show lauds league performers (VIDEO).

For more information on the 2012 event, check out WSL competes with annual Talent Show.