Leadership attends monthly WSL meeting, improves events

[/media-credit] ASB officials from each of the seven schools in the WSL get together monthly to discuss upcoming events and brainstorm ideas.
As several well anticipated major school events are right around the corner, leadership classes around the West Sequoia League (WSL) put their minds together to make this year’s events worth the wait.

Events such as homecoming, NOTS and Sadies were the main topics at the most recent WSL meeting on Sept. 22, held and lead by Fowler High School.

Each year, ASB officials from each of the seven schools in the WSL get together monthly to discuss upcoming events and brainstorm ideas.

Not only do the schools learn about new ideas for school events, but they also come together to learn about each other. These meetings are a time where leaders can get together and bond so that they will get a better idea of how their school works, and gain a different respect for one another. The first meeting is especially crucial for the start of the year.

Senior Danya Diaz, from Mendota High School enjoyed the previous meeting because it planted new ideas that she will carry on to her leadership class.

“I thought it was really good, we got to get more ideas for our Sadies, prom, formal and homecoming,” Diaz said. “I came in without knowing what to do for my homecoming and now I have some really cool ideas, so I think we will just combine them and see what happens. The last meeting had more activities and more people. It was much more exciting but this was still good, we still got some good ideas from each others school.”

Compared to the previous WSL meeting, this meeting was a little more relaxing and productive, according to Erick Cortes, ’15, from Caruthers High School

“Overall, I think it was a great day,” Cortes said. “I got to know a lot of people that I didn’t know last year, because I came to these meetings since my junior year. I met new people from other schools. We interacted and bonded and I enjoyed today. I feel like there was more talking going around, people had something to say and everything went very smoothly. Everyone seemed to get their ideas out there so I felt pretty good about this year.”

Each school alternates hosting the meeting at their high school each time we meet. The high schools that attend these meetings include Caruthers, Dos Palos, Mendota, Tranquillity, Riverdale, Fowler, Firebaugh, and FCS. Hosted at Fowler, Senior Activities director Chandler Collins, put this meeting on with her fellow leadership class last minute, but was very satisfied with the outcome.

“I felt that it was really helpful,” Collins said. “It put a lot of ideas out there for everyone else, especially schools that are smaller and that don’t have the chance to do certain things so it brings different ideas to the table. We enjoyed leading the meeting. It was, to be honest, a last minute thing. We had to put the meeting together kind of on the spot, but i think it made it more fun.”

The next meeting will be held at Mendota High School, on Nov. 17.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather
This writer can be reached via Twitter: @ashhasthescoop

For more news, read the Sept. 22 article, BRIEF: See You at The Pole, Sept. 24.