Newsies in New York, Day 3 (64 PHOTOS, VIDEO)

After the long day of sight seeing in New York City, NY, the journalism staff of The Feather Online headed off to Columbia University, March 14, for the 88th annual Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Scholastic Convention. The students visited a series of classes varying in theme, from learning how to become an editor to the layout dynamics of a newspaper.

From 9 a.m.-3:15 p.m., the journalism staff each attended four sessions during the day. Sessions included topics on copying and editing, writing column writing, the music of writing and photography workshops.

During the convention, three staffers, Multimedia Anchors Brooke Stobbe, 12′, and Callista Fries, ’15, and Opinions Editor Tynin Fries, ’14, traveled to Hoboken, NJ, to visit Carlo’s Bakery in the hopes of meeting Buddy Valastro, the Cake Boss. Unfortunately, Valastro was not at the bakery, but his cousin, Frankie Amato, visited with the three girls for an interview and pictures.

After the convention, students joined together to tour the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. While access to the upper floors is usually prohibited, the journalism class was able to take a guided vertical tour every level of the building. The class was able to climb nearly 125 feet up into the Gothic and Romanesque Cathedral, finally stopping in the attic.

After a long day of lectures, the group went to the Broadway show Memphis at the Shubert Theater on 225 West 44th Street. This production marked the musical’s 1000th show, which was lauded by Memphis’ cast and crew. To add to the excitement of the performance, members of The Feather staff spoke to keyboardist David Bryan of Bon Jovi during intermission. The rocker wrote the music and lyrics of Memphis, which debuted on Broadway in 2002.

To end their day, students searched for a late dinner before stopping at Dallas BBQ. Ribs, cornbread and sweet tea were just some of the delectables consumed by the ravenous group before they headed off to bed with another packed day of Columbia classes and touring ahead.

For the previous day’s report, check out Newsies in New York, Day 2 (112 PHOTOS).