Auction proves successful, unites FC community (VIDEO)

Going once … going twice … sold! The 29th annual FC auction got underway the evening of March 17, with a near-sellout crowd of 350 in attendance.

Rather than looking like a typical sporting event, the FC Gym was decorated to set the tone and usher in the night ahead. The annual spring fundraiser brought in an estimated $100,005 to help bridge the gap between tuition income and campus expenses.

Superintendent Debbie Siebert shares the overarching purpose of the auction.

“It’s a twofold purpose,” Siebert said. “One is for fellowship and fun, and the other it to help raise money for the school. The money goes to help with all of our programs.”

The gala event featured auctioneer, Joel Bleeker as well as KMPH Fox 26 sportscaster Ralph Wood presiding over the festivities. Wood is not only the longest running television sportscaster in Fresno, but he is also the parent of senior Adam. Wood shares his thoughts on being the emcee for the auction.

“I was honored to be asked,” Wood said. “I wanted to do anything I could do to help, especially with what the school has done for Adam.”

Wood said he had high hopes for the auction. Before the festivities began, he humorously predicted how the evening would go.

“It’s going to get crazy,” Wood said. “People are going to be trampling over each other, there will be pushing and shoving, there will be fights breaking out over little coffee mugs. It’s going to be wild, they’ll have to call in the SWAT team.”

The evening began with a silent auction which featured 340 items ranging from jewelry to paintings. These items were arrayed on tables that guests could peruse at their leisure. Lining the west end of the gym’s wall were 45 gift certificates, offering everything from a lunch with eighth grade teacher Hallie Rojeski to a “get in free” pass to any FC sporting event.

Marvell French serves as the Co-Chair of the Auction Committee along with Pete Degroot. French, who also sits on the school?s