Sportsmanship requires personal commitment

With 10 seconds left in a campus boys’ basketball game, the star player goes up for a shot. Just as he leaves the ground, his opponent’s elbow jabs into his chest and sends him plummeting to the hard wood floor. In his rage, he yells out profanity to his rival, and the gym becomes deathly silent.

This is just one of the ways poor sportsmanship is displayed in student athletics. Disrespectful conduct occurs in nearly every sporting event and is commonly portrayed by athletes of all ages.

Instead of competing for the love of the game, players often become wrapped up in the pressures of competition and drive to defeat their opponent.

“Because winning has the ability to supercede the values of good conduct, there has been an appreciable decomposition in sportsmanship,” the founders of the group, Citizenship Through Sports Alliance (CTSA) wrote on their website, www.sportsmanship.org. Their time is invested in, “elevating athletes to think beyond the superficial success, and integrating the values of discipline, loyalty, teamwork, and character.”

The CTSA stresses the importance of teaching these constructive morals to student athletes in hopes of creating a revival in the sport’s world and giving a positive name for today’s athletes.

Coaches such as Robert Foshee try and provide a positive attitude and atmosphere for the players. They are constantly teaching their athletes the ethics of good sportsmanship in hopes that they will demonstrate these qualities on the field and court.

“The display of good sportsmanship is an important part of all athletics, especially at our school,” Foshee said. “Our actions should reflect God in our lives and our respect toward the teams we play. We are called to shine our light to those around us in every area of our lives.”

Although a positive attitude and virtuous actions may be difficult to obtain during the heat of battle, striving to achieve this goal is evident in every admirable player. Understanding our role as athletes and our call to ministry is an important key to success.

“One of the ways I try and demonstrate good sportsmanship on the football field is by letting my opponent know I’m out there to have a good time, not beat them up,” Aaron Rios, ’03, said. “When I knock someone down I try and help them up and tell them, ?Good hit!'”

Along with the demonstration of good sportsmanship during the game, it has become a well-known tradition that several of our sports teams pray with their opponents previous to the game.

Whether the score is in favor of the maroon and gold eagles or not, we are known to carry our prideful smiles into a circle of prayer, offering gratitude to our Heavenly father.

“Praying after games is an exciting opportunity to witness to the other team,” Sara Wiens, ’04, said. ” It is a great way to break down any barriers, and establish a sense of unity. Along with our devotion to God, this shows that we actually care about them as people.”

This ministry is in most cases greatly appreciated by league opponents, which is evident through the excitement shown when asked to join in pray. At times, the referees even accept the invitation to witness this unique sense of unity.

The circle of prayer is a symbol of Christ in our school. It just goes to show there is more to the game than the numbers on the scoreboard. It is about athletes bringing glory to God while playing the sports they love.

If our attitudes during the game are not pleasing to God, the prayer proves insignificant. As Christians we hold the responsibility of living our lives for Him, allowing our actions to reflect his love.