Baseball sport shorts: Eagles cruise to second victory

BASEBALL SPORTS SHORTS 2012–
(For the previous game, check out the Baseball sport shorts: Eagles sieze opening day win. Scrimmages do not count to win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for baseball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

For FC’s 2012 homepage or schedule, check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 2-0 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March 27. They will next play in the Fowler Easter Classic in a double-header against Washington Union and Coalinga, March 31.

BASEBALL 2012

FIREBAUGH FALLS AGAINST FC–March 27
The Eagles hosted Firebaugh for their second home game of the season and once again FC took an early lead, March 27. They scored one run in the first inning and never looked back, winning 4-1.

At the plate, FC was led by senior Trevor York, with two singles and one RBI. He also pitched for two innings, striking two batters out.

“We had some really solid defense as there was only one error the whole day,” York said. “There also was some good hitting but it can be better still, I mean four runs isn’t great, it’s good. It’s only our second game this season so it’s kind of a good start up and the guys bats are catching on now.”

The Eagles dominated on defense as Firebaugh only had one single the entire game which led to their first run in the sixth inning. This came from the pitching by Austin Rurik, ’12, to York, then JP Caprioglio, ’13, and Ryan Neufeld, ’12, to close out the game. Head Coach Noah Heinz says he wanted to let all of his pitchers experience some playing time before the Fowler Easter Classic Tournament, March 31.

“I wanted to get them ready for the upcoming tournament this weekend where we’ll need all of them pitching,” Heinz said. “It was also Trevor and JP’s first outing of the year which they needed.”

Five underclassmen make up the FC squad and freshman JD Freitas, who was a designated hitter for freshman Aaron Dewolf, is a part of that group.
Freitas had one hit on the day and says he has adjusted from the jump to varsity.

“It’s a lot different from junior high,” Freitas said. “Overall the playing is a lot better. My coaches have definitely gotten me prepared for the better playing and it hasn’t been as tough as I thought it would be.”

Although most teams have already played in at least one tournament this season, FC will participate in their first tournament, the Fowler Classic. Heinz says this games will give them a head start into the tournament.

“We played great defense and ran the bases well,” Heinz said. “Our pitchers had to many three ball counts that led to a few walks though. Overall, I was impressed with how we closed out the game and love the momentum we have going into the tournament this weekend.”

The Eagles will next play in the Fowler Easter Classic in a double-header against Washington Union and Coalinga, March 31.