BRIEF: 7th graders host World Market

Another year comes for the anicipated World Market, a unique festival put on by the 7th grade class. As part of their history unit, these students design a booth for a country involving their journey along the Silk Road, April 12.

Students and parents are allowed to come and enjoy the festival, which will take place in the Ground Zero courtyard; in case of rain, the event will take place in the People’s Church gym. The class will display their hard work and creativity from 8a.m.- 1p.m.

The World Market was created as a project for the students to research a particular country, design items and make food originating from that country. The assignment brings together information learned over the course of the year.

These students undergo many hours of creating and preparing supplies for the country of their choice. For 7th grade student, Gianna Woods, ’17, her excitement lies in waiting to sell the items and getting dressed up for this occasion.

“Preparing for World Market is stressful, yet fun,” said Woods. “I enjoyed learning about my country and its culture but also spending time with my group preparing for World Market.”

The junior high english and history teacher, Natalie Douty, organized and put together this festival, learning from previous teacher Ellen King.

“Mrs. King, who transformed Medieval Village into World Market around ten years ago, is kind enough to help assist me on this large project,” said Douty. “A lot of preparation has been put into this one day and I’m excited to see how it will turn out.”

Sophomore Hannah Avila ’14, remembers World Market as an unforgettable experience, participating in it three years ago.

“Some of my favorite memories were bonding with my friends, creating all of our products, and being able to sell everything,” said Avila. “I’m looking forward to this years World Market to see what the 7th graders have to offer.”

For more information about World Market, read the April 29 article, World Market spotlights cultures, live entertainment.