Softball sport shorts: Cowgirls shutout FC, 15-0

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-6 overall and 0-1 in the West Sequoia League as of April 10. The Eagles will next play against Tranquillity High School, April 12.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

The Eagles hosted the Riverdale Cowgirls, which began league play, April 10. Since FC won two games consecutively, they were eager for another win.

Both teams came out strong from the start, but the Cowgirls controlled the game when their advanced pitcher switched between a slow and fast pitch. Thus, preventing FC from scoring, and ultimately causing an Eagle loss, 15-0.

According to senior Nicole Hensley, she learned valuable lessons from the loss. Ultimately, Hensley learned that it is important to come out strong from the beginning and work together as a team.

“I learned some good lessons from this game,” Hensley said. “We need to come out in the first inning hard and not take our time getting going. We need to make easy plays and try to hit the ball to our best ability as soon as possible so that we can compete with the other team.”

Sophomore Illeana See says that she is satisfied that the team had an opportunity to play against an advanced opponent. See believes that the experience will help the team grow.

“The game against Riverdale was interesting,” See said. “This was our first game of the season, so I am glad we faced a strong team so we have an idea on what the season is gonna look like.”

According to See, the team needs to put all distraction to the side and focus on the game once they are on the field.

“Another problem was that we were really nervous,” See said. “Since we won two games in a row, we felt pressure to do well. So that kind of distracted us from focusing on the game. Overall, it was not a bad game; we now know the things that we need to work on.”

Freshman Gaby Siqueiros says that the team needs to contain positive attitude and a mindset of winning.

“We need to get fired up before games,” Siqueiros said. “We also need to put ourselves in a mindset of winning. Against Riverdale, we were kind of down and not as excited, so we are going to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.”

According to Head Coach Jeff Ragan, he plans to on work the fundamentals of softball with his team.

“As a coach, I am going to focus the players on fundamentals, such as hitting, fielding and throwing, Ragan said.”

The Eagles were scheduled to next play against the Tranquillity High School, April 12, but is postponed to later this season.

For more information, read the March 31 article, Softball sport shorts: FC defeats Kings Christian (VIDEO).