Sojourn in Seattle: Day 1 (57 PHOTOS)

Following an after-school flight out of Fresno Yosemite International Airport the previous day, six Feather journalism students and Adviser Greg Stobbe toured the downtown district of Seattle, WA, April 12.

The group will attend the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA)/Journalism Education Association (JEA) National High School Journalism Convention at the Washington State Convention Center, April 13-14, where numerous educators and students including The Feather’s Co-Editors-in-Chief Nick Avery, ’12, and Mary Hierholzer, ’12, Webmaster David Casuga, ’12, and Multimedia Anchor Brooke Stobbe, ’12, will present sessions geared towards helping other high school journalists improve their online papers.

The staff will also be awaiting the announcement of the Online Pacemaker Awards, which they were nominated for, Feb. 28.

To start the day, Stobbe and his students walked down to Pike Place Fish Market for breakfast. In addition to a meal, the group was able to sample local produce, interviewing and observing fishmongers toss their catch and tour the market’s many venders.

After a brief visit to check in for the convention at the Washington State Convention Center, students split up to shop downtown. Once they had finished this venture, the party sat down for dinner, then returned to their accomodations, Hotel Five, to work on The Feather and homework.

Though not presenting tomorrow, students will attend several classes from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. with the hope of expanding their journalistic horizons.

The slideshow below contains photos that portray The Feather staff’s first day in Seattle. Check back for a daily account of the staff’s activities during the trip.

For more information, read the Feb. 29 article, BREAKING: The Feather clinches Pacemaker nomination.