BRIEF: Music department to present spring concert

The music department of Fresno Christian is in full performance mode in April and is offering two opportunities for the campus community to gather for concerts, April 17 and April 19.

The choir, ensemble, and worship teams are combining to present a musical snapshot of life at Fresno Christian High School, April 17. The musical’s title is still being determined, but the working title has been “High School Musical Four.” While seems a bit silly, a second title is, “Not just going through the motions.”

The groups began working on the music right after returning from the ACSI Musicale on March 10. All eight of the musical selections were learned and memorized in less than three weeks. Drama parts were written and assigned. The worship team has been busy learning the instrumental parts in between preparing for their regular chapel responsibilities.

Admission is free to the Musical in Ground Zero and the evening begins at 7 p.m. With baseball, softball and tennis matches getting done around 6:30 p.m., the choirs may have to wait until all the group members have returned to campus! The worship team will open the evening music experience with worship songs.

The April 19 concert will combine all the instrumental performing groups from FCS elementary to high school for a fun hour of ‘show and tell.’ The Jazz Band, elementary band, percussion ensemble, junior high trio, and advanced bands each will be presenting music that has either recently or will soon be performed for festivals or concerts.

The concert is being held in the G.L. Johnson Chapel on the grounds of the Peoples Church. It will begin at 7 p.m. and last an hour.

In other music department news…

FCHS Celebration Choir and Adoration Ensemble participated in the Clovis Unified’s Invitational Choral Festival, April 13. The choir was slotted in the morning session with groups from Granite Ridge and Selma. They sang materials presented at other festivals earlier this year: ACSI and MENC festivals in March.

The Invitational Festival was held in the Shagoian Concert Hall on the campus of Clovis North High School. This festival was organized by the directors of choirs at Clovis East and Clovis North, Dan and Heather Bishop. The Bishops are Jacob Williams’ relatives.

Rather than compete against other schools, this was an educational festival that featured the comments and considerations of Professor Jo-Michael Scheibe of the University of Southern California. Mr. Scheibe is an internationally acclaimed choral conductor and educator currently serving the American Choral Directors Association as president.

Both the choir and ensemble were complimented for many musical things they did, but the comment director Michael Ogdon appreciated most was the closing statement given by Mr. Scheibe.

“It is a pleasure to hear this group sing, but even more, to see them communicate effectively. That’s what choral music is all about.”