BRIEF: Spanish students to visit Vallarta Supermarkets

To broaden their horizon of Mexican cuisine, Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth will take her Spanish II classes to Vallarta Supermarkets, a genuine Mexican supermarket and restaurant, April 20.

The students will be taken on a tour throughout the supermarket to see the variety of different Mexican cookery, by either the general manager, Juan Rico, or one of his assistants.

Students must wear their “We Are One” shirts to go on the field trip, otherwise they will not be allowed to participate in the event. They will also be required to fill out a worksheet as they tour the building. If the student is unable to attend they will be given a seperate assignment in order to make up points.

For lunch, it is mandatory to order in Spanish from the food court available at Vallarta’s. One reason Foth takes the students on this trip is to have them experience a real situation where they might have to speak Spanish.

“The best part is that the students have to order in Spanish,” Foth said. “At Vallarta’s they get to use what they are learning in class and apply it to an every day task.”

Elora Hargis, ’14, anticipates the upcoming event to Vallarta. She believes this will be great opportunity to apply the semesters’ past knowledge into a real-life situation.

“I’m really looking forward to this trip,” Hargis said. “I think it will be very interesting to see the different types of food and the assortment of ways they prepare it. It’s cool that Senora Foth takes her lesson a step further and lets us get hands-on with the assignment.”

Foth looks forward to this event every year and hopes to continue making annual trips. Seeing this as a very educational trip she hopes the students take a lot out of this event.

“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity for students to learn more about the food in Central and South America,” Foth said. “They can learn a lot about the way the food is prepared and they get to see a different variety of items that are used by Central and South Americans on a daily basis. I hope I am able to continue this trip for the years to come.”

For more information, email Foth.

For more news articles, read the April 16 article Sojourn in Seattle: Day 3 (49 PHOTOS).