Boys' tennis sport shorts: Blue Raiders squeeze by Eagles

(Latest boys’ tennis shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count towards win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ tennis features.). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

There are no additional stats available online for tennis. FC is currently 3-2 overall and 3-2 in the West Sequoia League, April 17. The Eagles will next host the Fowler Redcats, April 19.

BOYS’ TENNIS 2012

FC LOSES CLOSE MATCH TO CARUTHERS–April 17
After last week?s match against Firebaugh got rained out, the Eagles were eager to face the Caruther?s Blue Raiders. Caruthers had previously dealt FC their first lost earlier in the season. In an unfortunate turn of events, the Eagles lost three tie breakers and ended up losing 4-5, April 17.

Though it was heartbreaking to lose so close a match, coach Rob Foshee still believes his team can win league. He says their toughest opponents will probably prove to be the Dos Palos Mustangs.

“We had three tie breakers today, we win those we win 6-3,” Foshee said. “Instead we lose 4-5. The bad side is now we have to do something special to sweep Dos Palos.”

No. 2 singles player Brandon Porter, ’13, was behind 1-7 in his singles match. Porter ended up winning 5 games in a row to force his match to a tie breaker. Though he fought to the finish, he ended up losing his tie breaker, 7-4.

Foshee hopes that his team can become more confident on the court. He feels like their confidence will come from putting themselves in pressured situations in practice.

“We need to be confident in ourselves,” Foshee said. “When we put good pace on the ball we put teams in bad positions and we are able to get the point. When we are afraid of messing up that?s when we hit half-shots and those balls either fly out or become a really good ball for the other team to hit.”

Senior Brady Lee ran into a little trouble during his singles match. His opponent, Nick Alvarez, came out strong and won the first game. The games went back and forth as both players battled to get ahead. Lee ended up pulling ahead and winning 8-4.

“It was my toughest match of the season,” Lee said. “At first I tried to pound the ball and get winners. Unfortunately many of my shots went long or went into the net. I decided to just keep the ball in play and it turned out very well.”

In the end, everything came down to doubles. The Eagles had to win both their No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches in order to win the entire match. No. 1 doubles won 8-2 but No. 2 doubles lost 2-8.

The Eagles will next host the Fowler Redcats, April 19.

For past coverage, check out the Boys’ tennis sport shorts: FC defeats Riverdale in 8-1 triumph