Students explore culture through supermarket

In order to better educate the Spanish II students on the in-class lessons about Mexican cuisine, Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth took the classes to Vallarta Supermarkets for an informative field trip, April 20.

The students were given a tour of the supermarket by a member of the human resources department, Esmeralda Luis, who informed them about a variety of different spices, meats and seafood used regularly in Hispanic culture. The Spanish II classes were also required to order their lunch from the food court in Spanish to acquire participation points for the day.

Luis showed the students the variety of different sections in Vallarta, such as the carniceria, tortilleria and the panaderia. Luis enjoyed giving a tour to FC and being able to inform them better on Mexican culture.

“It was great being able to teach the students about Mexican culture and cuisine,” Luis said. “I’ve only ever given this tour to younger kids so giving it to high schoolers was different but still very good.”

Eric Cowin, ’14, appreciated the opportunity to get a taste of a different culture. Finding this as a great way to experience a diverse amount of food, Cowin valued his time at Vallarta.

“It felt a little strange seeing food that was uncommon to me but I’m glad I went,” Cowin said. “I learned about the Spanish culture firsthand, instead of reading about it in a book or an article, which is more fun and I believe more effective.”

Foth decided taking the students to Vallarta would be a great hands-on experience for the students to learn more about lessons they had gone over in class, one of them being how to order food in Spanish.

“Taking the students to Vallarta is a great educational trip,” Foth said. “It teaches the students about a different culture they don’t get to experience on a regular basis. This trip also gives them the opportunity to learn more Spanish by making them order in Spanish.”

Spanish II is taken on this trip because they are more familiar with the language as opposed to the Spanish I students who are just getting started. Foth believes these students are able to comprehend more about the cuisine and language having learned it for the almost two years.

“The first year Spanish takers are just getting use to the language and culture,” Foth said. “The second year students understand more and can speak more. The have a better awareness of what the different types of food and culture at Vallarta.”

Sophomore Chloe Deurr appreciated all the Hispanic culture and cuisine she saw at Vallarta. Duerr tasted some food she had never tried before finding it as a great way to experience different cookery outside of her comfort zone.

“My favorite part was eating the beef enchiladas I ordered,” Deurr said. “They tasted delicious and very authentic. It was interesting eating food I typically don’t eat and being in a supermarket with such a different culture than mine. Vallarta was also a great way for us students to practice our Spanish speaking skills, which we usually don’t get to do outside of class.”

Foth hopes to continue taking her Spanish II students to Vallarta for a better learning experience. In her opinion it helps them learn better being able to relate the different aspects of Mexican culture they see to the topics they talk about in class.

“Some students learn better if they experience the lessons firsthand,” Foth said. “So it helps if the students can see what they are learning for themselves instead of just looking at a picture in the text book. It’s a great trip and I think the students become more educated through it so I hope to continue this trip as long as possible.”

According to Foth FC students have a great reputation at Vallarta, which she believes will not change as long as they go. Foth trusted her Spanish II classes to act respectfully and responsibly while they visited the supermarket.

“I didn’t think I would have to worry about my kids and I was right,” Foth said. “We’ve always had a good reputation at Vallarta and that didn’t change this year. I trusted them to act with a Christ-like behavior and that is exactly what they did; I respect them greatly for that.”

For more features, read the April 17 article, FC takes 1st place, breaks Gustine’s three-year streak.