City of Fresno honors Feather with Proclamation

CityHall
[/media-credit] Fresno Council President Clinton J. Olivier, middle, and Councilman Larry Westerlund presented Feather adviser Greg Stobbe with a proclamation and announced this is Feather Online Day, April 26, 2012.

For the first time, The Feather Online was recognized by the Council Members of the City of Fresno to honor the staff for their accomplishments this year and the success of past years, April 26.

The Council presented The Feather with a City of Fresno Proclamation stating that Thursday, April 26, 2012, is “The Feather Online Day.” Aside from the proclamation, each staff member also received a personal award from the City of Fresno to congratulate individual success.

Prior to the recognition, the City Council also declared proclamations of “National Crime Victims Rights Week,” “National Police Week/Peace Officers Memorial Day” and “Brotherhood of the Badge” to respective organizations.

After these declarations, adviser Greg Stobbe and some staff members were asked to come up to the front of the meeting where Council President Clinton J. Olivier and Councilman Larry Westerlund presented the awards.

Senior Co-Editor-in-Chief Nick Avery appreciates the magnitude of the recognition and is grateful for City Council’s attention.

“The recognition we received from the Fresno City Council was extraordinary, to say the least,” Avery said. “The fact that they took the time to honor us during a council meeting, in addition to endorsing us with a letter of commendation, really spoke bounds to what the city of Fresno appreciates about our work. Council President Clinton J. Olivier had nothing but praise for The Feather and its staff, and actually encouraged all of us to continue our efforts. This congratulation was easily comparable to a national award.”

Similar to Avery, Stobbe agrees that this recognition is just as valuable as a national award and acknowledges the staff’s accomplishments to the community.

“I appreciate the Mayor’s office commending The Feather Online for past year’s successes and this now tops that,” Stobbe said. “While Mayor Ashley Swearengin also supports this city of Fresno Proclamation, the entire City Council was on hand to show their support and sign the official document. I too am proud to lead campus students and their peers in their publication.”

Even though the editorial staff appreciates the award from City Council, first year staffer Kaitlyn King, ’14, also realizes the importances of the recognition.

“I think it is really cool to be recognized by City Hall and the Town Council and the people who work there,” King said. “This is my first year on staff and it’s kind of awesome to be a part of something this big.”

Senior Webmaster and Media Specialist David Casuga deems the proclamation as a good way to end a stressful year and to wrap up his career on The Feather Online.

“This proclamation seemed like the perfect ending to a very stressful year,” Casuga said. “For four years we’ve all been very diligent and passionate about moving our paper on to greatness. Although winning the Pacemaker award was incredible, it was remarkable to have recognition come from our home town.”

For more information about the awards The Feather Online has received, read the April 16 article, Feather accepts fourth Pacemaker.