BRIEF: Spring sports banquet to honor teams

For the conclusion of spring sports, the athletic department, with the help of the Mom’s and Dad’s club, will be hosting a banquet to honor the baseball, softball, tennis, golf and track teams. The event will be held in Ground Zero starting at four p.m., May 14.

Dinner will be served first, followed by the award ceremony where the athletes will be recognized for their accomplishments throughout the season. After the teams are acknowledged there will be a special guest speaker: Bob Bennett.

Athletic department supervisor Michael Fuller hopes to see FC’s motto of ‘We Are One’ shine through the night. By appreciating the spring sports athletes it will be a great way for the students and their families to unite and come together as one, she said.

“The banquet allows athletes and families from all of the teams to enjoy fellowship with each other,” Fuller said. “Acknowledging the many accomplishments of our FC teams is a way of celebrating the school’s theme, ‘We Are One.'”

Freshman Aaron DeWolf anticipates the event hoping it will be a great way to unite the teams even more, by honoring each other’s skills. DeWolf expects for the event to be very beneficial to the sports department as a whole.

“It gives students a sense of accomplishment,” Dewolf said. “It gives us a chance to recognize the athletes for everything they’ve achieved. I think it also builds high self-esteem for the athletes because they are being awarded for their skills.”

Junior Kristen Rosenthal is excited to attend the banquet and see which athletes will receive which awards. Rosenthal thinks it is a great way to unite the sports one last time.

Fuller hopes to make this an annual banquet, combining all spring sports instead of doing an individual banquet for each sport.

“We would like to build this tradition into the FC culture,” Regnerus said. “We hope to make the season banquets times of celebration for many years to come. It is important to honor what our student athletes and their coaches have achieved.”

Assistance is needed to set up tables and serve food to the attendants. If you are interested in cooperating with set up, talk to the athletic department.

For more news, read the May 7 article, BRIEF: 9-11 Finals schedule.