Golf sport shorts: Eagles seniors take first place

GOLF SPORTS SHORTS 2012–
(Tournament matches do not count toward win/loss record. For the previous match, check out the Golf sport shorts: FC seizes West Sequoia League title. Visit the Sports Section for golf features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

For the Eagles schedule and statistics, check out their home page on linksplayers.com. The Eagles are currently 6-7 overall and 4-0 in the West Sequoia League as of April 24. The will next play in the North Area Tournament at Riverside Golf Course, May 7.

GOLF 2012

FC TAKES TOP SPOTS IN LEAGUE–April 24
FC played their final WSL league match at Lemoore Golf Course, an 18 hole venture April 24. The Eagles posted a team score of 453 for 18 holes, and because they had already clinched league, the other teams did not report scores.

In addition to winning the team championship, seniors Jeff Roseth and Tyler Zaentz tied for the individual championship, finishing at 145 for the 36-hole individual championship. Rather than playing extra holes, the teammates decided to keep the official record as a tie for first place, each getting crowned for the second time (Zaentz won in ’10, Roseth in ’11).

Coach Jeff Hopper felt that this joint victory was the perfect end to two outstanding high school careers.

“What a great way for two good friends and outstanding competitors to complete their high school league careers,” Hopper said. “I was very pleased for both of them. The battle went back and forth all day at Lemoore, starting with poor play, then turning into a birdie war. Lots of fun to watch.”

The other highlight was sophomore Jason Kim who took fifth place in the tournament.

“Congratulations as well to sophomore Jason Kim, who finished fifth in the league as one of six medalists,” Hopper said. “Only one other medalist was not a senior, so this is a great accomplishment.”

The regular season now complete, the Eagles will next play in the North Area Tournament at Riverside Golf Course, May 7.