Clubs partner for Cinco de Mayo celebration

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, a day commemorating the defeat of French forces by Mexico at the Battle of Puebla, members of the California Scholarship Federation (CSF) club put together a lunch along with entertainment provided by the Spanish Club. Although the date falls on a Saturday, the students proceed in having the Cinco de Mayo celebration a day early, May 4.

The lunch consisted of homemade enchiladas, nachos, a choice of dessert and lemonade. The event has been organized by CSF adviser Molly Sargent since 1993 as part of the club’s service, and as a way to contribute to the scholarship fund that is given to one senior member each year.

Finding the spanish culture to be personally interesting, sophomore Elora Hargis enjoyed all aspects of the event.

“I had a great time today {May 4} because I find that spanish culture is really interesting, so it was great to have the mariachi band,” Hargis said. “The food was fantastic, and the decorations really set the mood, overall I enjoyed my time immensely.”

In order to help students celebrate the holiday, Spanish teacher and club adviser, Beatriz Foth hires a mariachi band every year to perform for the students and faculty during the event.

“I think the students enjoyed it a lot, both high school and elementary,” Foth said. “The main reason why I try to not only include the original hispanic music but also the decorations is so the students can get a feel for the authentic Mexican celebration of Cinco de Mayo.”

While students enjoy the homemade lunch, some appreciate the cultural aspects of the holiday and indulge in every moment of the event. Jason Kim, ’14, was grateful to see a change of culture from what he is used to.

“It was a great fiesta,” Kim said. “The food was delicious, the music was superb, and I had a great time with friends. Everyone around me seemed to be having a blast.”

First time attender, Brianna Walker, ’13, was pleasantly surprised by the event that took place. Walker enjoyed listening to the band and is already anticipating next years celebration.

“I had a great time, the energy was fun and exciting, the music was great, and it was really cool to see the students get involved with the songs,” Walker said. “I was shocked to see how authentic this celebration was, my friends and I enjoyed every moment of today’s lunch.”

Senior Scott Jennings stayed for the occasion knowing it would be his last chance to attend the lunch as a student of FC.

“It was super fun to eat lunch with a live band, eat great food and share that time with friends,” Jennings said. “Usually we seniors go off campus, but we all tend to stay for this special celebration.”

Freshman Ivette Ibarra took after her siblings by singing with the mariachi band. Ibarra continued the tradition that began with her brothers alumni Julio, ’10, and Danny, ’11.

“I had a wonderful time participating with the band in their performance of Cielito Lindo,” Ibarra said. “In a way it is a tradition to sing with the band because I am following in Danny and Julio’s footsteps, so its kind of an Ibarra tradition.”

For more news, read the May 1 article, BRIEF: Year-end convocation initiates tradition.