Softball sport shorts: Caruthers overcomes FC in senior night

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 4-12 overall and 0-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 3. The Eagles will next play against Fowler Redcats, May, 8.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

The Eagles hosted the Caruthers Blue Raiders for senior night; honoring Nicole Hensley, Brandi Thompson, Dana King and Raine Hayes for their hard work and dedication to softball over the years, May 3.

The Blue Raiders came out strong, scoring 11 runs by the end of the fourth inning. Throughout the rest of the game the Eagles defense was successful, giving up only one more run, but their offense was unable to score, resulting in an FC loss, 12-1.

According to Hensley, senior night was an enjoyable experience. Although she is disappointed that the season is almost over, appreciates support from her family members.

“Senior night was fun, because my parents, sister and grandparents all came to support me.” Hensley said. “It is cool to be announced and to be able to play our last home game as seniors. I am sad it is over, but it was a good game to go out on as our last home game.”

Hensley says that she learned valuable lessons both on and off of the field over the years.

“What I learned during the season is to have patience and perseverance through hard times,” Hensley said. “When we had long and difficult innings I had to rely on those traits and my mental strength to get through. I learned to always be aware that we wear the word ‘Christian’ on our jerseys and that I need to show Christ through my actions and words.”

According to junior Taylor Neufield, she appreciates the seniors’ guidance and leadership on the field.

“Senior night was a blast even though we lost,” Neufield said. “I know that it is going to be hard without the seniors since they are really good players and they guide us on the field. I am definitely going to miss all four of them since I got to know them better throughout the season.”

Since softball is one of Thompson’s favorite sports, senior night was an emotional experience for her.

“It was really emotional and sad for me, because it is my last year ever playing softball and it is one of my favorite sports,” Thompson said. “For softball, nothing special goes on but it was sad because it’s coming to an end.”

According to Thompson, the younger players on the team should not focus solely on softball, but also on building relationship with teammates and having fun.

“I have been playing softball and basketball for a long time,” Thompson said. “Throughout the years, I learned so many things. I would tell the younger players to have fun when they play sports and don’t be so into it and play with a smile on their faces because it makes the game so much more fun.”

The Eagles will next travel to play against Fowler High School, May 8.