Boys' tennis sport shorts: Lee champions at WSL tournament

(Latest boys’ tennis shorts will be at the top of the section. Scroll down to check out past results. Scrimmages do not count towards win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ tennis features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

There are no additional stats available online for tennis. FC is currently 6-4 overall. They finished 6-4 in the West Sequoia League. With league officially over, FC is currently in playoffs. They will travel to play the Dos Palos Mustangs Wednesday, May 9 at 3:30.

BOYS’ TENNIS 2012

EAGLES BATTLE IN LEAGUE TOURNAMENT–May 3
Six of FC’s players traveled to Caruthers to play in the West Sequoia League playoffs, May 6. The Eagles brought along two singles player and two doubles teams. Brady Lee, ’12, and Brandon Porter, ’13, played singles for FC. Senior Jacob Williams and freshman Matt Ely played doubles along with sophomores Daniel Moore and Adam Loughney.

Lee has played No. 1 singles all four years of high school. However, despite his rank, Lee has never won the league tournament up till now. He says that it was nice to finish his senior year season with a championship win.

“It feels really cool to win first place,” Lee said. “The last two years I have come in third. I feel like I played with more confidence this time. I swung the racket freely and tried not to let the nerves get to me.”

Lee won his first match 8-0. He then faced the No. 4 seed from Caruthers in his second match. This match proved to be more of a battle. Though Lee won his first set, 6-1, his opponent played stronger in the second. The score was tight for a while but in the end Lee won the second set 6-3. For the first time in his high school career, Lee would play in the final round of the league tournament.

Lee’s championship match was against the No. 2 seeded Nick Alveraz from Caruthers. Lee came out victorious, winning 6-1, 6-1.

Throughout his years of playing tennis, Lee has built relationships with the opposing teams. He says he uses his ability to perform magic tricks to connect with his opponents.

“One of the best things about tennis is the relationships you get to make,” Lee said. “During the tournament it was fun to hang out and show people tricks. It has been very special for me to talk to different players on and off the tennis court.”

Check back later for a more in-depth match summary.

FC us currently in playoffs. They will travel to play the Dos Palos Mustangs Wednesday, May 9 at 3:30.

For past coverage, check out the Boys’ tennis sport shorts: FC closes league with victory over Firebaugh.