BRIEF: Beanie baby donation to support Children's Hospital

To support Children’s Hospital Central California in collecting donations, Student Leadership has decided to hold a competition in order to raise the most stuffed animals during the drive, May 7-11.

In California, the hospital treats more inpatient cases than any pediatric hospital north of San Diego, making the hospital chain the second largest children?s hospital in the state.

Leadership teacher Robert Foshee is planning to gather plush toys because of the lack of stuffed animals at the hospital. They class is organizing the student body and encouraging the students to bring in any new stuffed animals.

“I feel this is a great way to participate and give back to the community,” Foshee said. “It’s an opportunity that is very inexpensive; you can spend as little as a dollar and make a world of difference in comfort to a child.”

The hospital gives stuffed toys to children who have undergone surgery or are regulars at the hospital. The medical facility is dedicated to the best care for children and the gift is a form of comfort in a chaotic situation. Because of this, numerous stuffed animals are distributed daily and the inflow of toys has decreased.

The ultimate goal for this fundraiser is to gather as many as possible. Students are encouraged to donate multiple toy animals. All proceeds go directly to the hospital. The only guidelines are that the toy must be new and less than 12 inches tall.

The Beanie Baby Bonanza will take place from May 7-11. Participants can bring the plush toys to the high school office located in Building 6. The class that collects the most Beanie Babies will win a pizza party from California Pizza Kitchen.

“I encourage all the students to contribute by donating at least one stuffed animal,” Foshee said. “I think if we come together and all participate, it will be a great outcome for the hospital.”