Softball sport shorts: Fowler beats FC after a two inning slump

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 4-12 overall and 0-6 in the West Sequoia League as of May 3. The Eagles will next play against Parlier Panthers, May, 10.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

The Eagles traveled to play against the Fowler Redcats for the second to last game this season in the WSL league, May 8. After losing against Caruthers on Senior Night, FC was determined for a win against the Redcats.

The game started out slow as the Redcats scored only one run during the first inning. The second inning was similar to the first, both teams were unable to score. However, the third inning was the highlight for the Redcats since they scored 7 runs and prevented the Eagles to score by maintaining a strong offense. FC scored a run in the fifth inning but it was not enough to defeat the Redcats, resulting in an FC loss, 11-2.

According to freshman Breanna Jennings, the game against the Redcats was a great learning experience, but is disappointed that the season is almost over.

“It was a really good learning experience,” Jennings said. “Even though we lost, we got to play against a team that was really good. We only have one more game so I am sad that the season is almost over, but we are probably gonna go to the playoffs so I am excited about it. Since we are playing teams in our division, I think we are gonna win some games. So we just need to take what we learned from these games and take our skills to the playoffs.”

Sophomore Illeana See says that she is satisfied with the improvements the team has made.

“We made some mistakes, but we made improvements,” See said. “The last time we played them we lost 18-3, but this game, we lost 11-1. Even the coaches from the other team gave us praise and the umpires did too. This just shows that we not only improvements but our attitudes reflect God.”

Freshman Gaby Siquieros says that it is crucial for the team to review the plays before the game. She believes that the team needs to work on defense along with the plays.

“I think we played really well,” Siquieros said. “We worked together as a team and although we didn’t really make a lot of mistakes, we did not follow our plays. For the upcoming games, we should review our plays until we get perfect and work on our defense as well, since that’s one of our weaknesses.”

The Eagles will next travel to play against the Parlier Panthers for the last game of the season on May, 10.